Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Nandhakishore Srinivasan <na...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/27 09:24:38 UTC

Beginning Kafka: Is Java necessary?

Hi there.
I stumbled upon Kafka as a stream processing backend and happen to be very
much enthused about it.
However, as a Python developer, I also noticed that all of the
documentation was in Java. Learning a new language is not a big deal for me
but is it necessary?
I also happen to come across Python Kafka client in GitHub. Will it allow
me to utilize the most of Kafka's functionality?(as a newbie to Kafka, I
can't fathom what they exactly did.)

Maybe should I start off with that Python Kafka client and jump to Java a
little bit later?

I thought asking the developers and community was a good idea.

Thanks and Regards,
NK.

Re: Beginning Kafka: Is Java necessary?

Posted by Matt Howlett <ma...@confluent.io>.
You can use Kafka very effectively from Python. There are a number of
Python clients to choose from, the most popular ones being
confluent-kafka-python, kafka-python and pykafka. The biggest thing missing
for non-Java developers is Kafka Streams, though there is a very promising
project underway to bring this to Python:
https://github.com/wintoncode/winton-kafka-streams (which leverages the
confluent-kafka-python client).