Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/20 09:36:47 UTC

Tomcat embed packaging clarification

Hi all,

Checking a project with multiple tomcat integrators (spring boot, uship,
meecrowave, tomee, ...) I realised Tomcat ecosystem is quite exploded with
tomcat-embed packaging but I kind of fail to see the benefit from there
since using plain tomcat artifacts works well plus embed is still marked as
experimental in the build descriptors.

From my window it would be great to deprecate embed jar usage, potentially
make some gap converging with default packaging, and focus on the main
packaging only and maybe drop embed one for the final 10.1 but not sure I
missed something critical.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Tomcat embed packaging clarification

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le ven. 20 mai 2022 à 12:10, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> a écrit :

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Checking a project with multiple tomcat integrators (spring boot, uship,
> > meecrowave, tomee, ...) I realised Tomcat ecosystem is quite exploded
> with
> > tomcat-embed packaging but I kind of fail to see the benefit from there
> > since using plain tomcat artifacts works well
>
> Not sure I understand your concern. There are a handful of extra JARs in
> the embedded namespace that provide an alternative packaging.
>
> There was a specific user request for the embedded packaging. They
> wanted fewer, larger JARs.
>
> It costs us very little to maintain those JARs.

Where I can envision to make it easy to use as a fatjar or something like
that, here embed packaging is kind of duplicating tomcat packaging and I
fail to see any benefit.

> > plus embed is still marked as
> > experimental in the build descriptors.
>
> That is an easy fix.

not yet, see next ;)

> >  From my window it would be great to deprecate embed jar usage,
> potentially
> > make some gap converging with default packaging, and focus on the main
> > packaging only and maybe drop embed one for the final 10.1 but not sure I
> > missed something critical.
>
> Why? What is the benefit of removing that packaging?

What does happen when you have tomcat + tomcat-embed in your classpath
because your libraries decided embed was better than default or the
opposite? Luckily it can work but it can also just fail and identifying it
is not always trivial for everyone.

Guess if default distro not full fatjar don't work well enough it can be a
need to integrate in main distribution, this is why I think it should
converge at some point.
That said, relocating embedded artifacts using org.apache.tomcat.embed
would mitigate the issue too and be okish for me too.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.