Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Joel Halbert <jo...@su3analytics.com> on 2011/07/15 14:29:37 UTC

Backup data for a single hbase instance

Hi,

I  have a standalone, single, HBase instance (not running on Hadoop, or
in a cluster).

What's the best strategy for creating a backup of the data?

I can afford downtime so is it safe to simply create a copy of the
hbase.rootdir ?

Thanks
Joel

Re: Backup data for a single hbase instance

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Flush all tables before copying and if you can, suspend writes during
the copy (after the flush has finished -- watch logs for when its
finished).  After copying the data, try starting an hbase over it to
make sure your copy works.  Let us know if you run into issue.
St.Ack

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
This is basically the same process that I was referring to earlier except
that if you have the ability to take snapshots, you can do this without
downtime or using extra disk space for the copy.

To HBase's credit, you can do this while clients are doing a massive amount
of updates.  In fact, this provides an interesting way to test crash
resistance of HBase.

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.