Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Biswas, Goutam_Kumar" <Go...@deshaw.com> on 2003/09/26 18:42:40 UTC

How do I specify a different workDir for each user accessing the same Tomcat 4.1.27 implementation

Hi,

I am trying to manage a development team wherein each user uses the same
instance of Tomcat for development. I do this by having a different
server.xml file for each user and having the context docBase point to the
build/webapps directory of each user, like shown below:

       <Context path="/POS"
             docBase="/u/biswasg/Proj/pos/bin/share/../../build/webapps"
               debug="0"
          reloadable="true"
        crossContext="false"
       swallowOutput="true">

               directory="logs/biswasg"
                  prefix="pos_log."
                  suffix=".txt"
               timestamp="false"/>

       </Context>

Now I want to specify a different workDir for each user also. How do I do
that? I tried adding the following <Loader> element inside the <Context> but
it doesn't work:

       <Context path="/POS"
             docBase="/u/biswasg/Proj/pos/bin/share/../../build/webapps"
               debug="0"
          reloadable="true"
        crossContext="false"
       swallowOutput="true">

               directory="logs/biswasg"
                  prefix="pos_log."
                  suffix=".txt"
               timestamp="false"/>

	<Loader className="org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader"
                 delegate="false"
               reloadable="false"
                  workDir="work/biswasg"/>
       </Context>

I want to do this as all JSP pages are now being compiled into the same work
directory for every user. So if two or more users are concurrently working
on the same JSP page they sometimes end up with a feature that they never
added! (and which someone else working on the same JSP page might have
added). So they ask me the question "Hey, I didn't add this... How did that
thing get in there?". And that triggered me into thinking that if I can
specify a different workDir for each user the problem will be solved...

Is this really do-able ?

Regards,
-Goutam