Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com> on 2002/09/24 15:53:28 UTC

Phoenix work directory

Hi!

Andrei Ivanov reported a problem with deleting the temporary directories
inside Phoenix's work directory on Windows some months ago.

http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg00607.html

I had the same problem then (WinXP), but I thought it got fixed and
forgot about the whole issue. Today I tested my projects on Phoenix 4.0,
release version, and I still have this problem.

To test if this was a problem with my applications only, I compiled the
demo from avalon-apps and it produces the same result. I can't find any
problems with file level security or java's security manager (no
difference if I turn it off).

I'm sorry if I am bringing up something that has already been solved. I
have the feeling that I'm missing something really simple here.

Peter,
in your proposal for the work directory (in Bugzilla) you mentioned that
it should be removed on startup as it still includes the temporary
directories if Phoenix was uncleanly shutdown. Will this be added at
some point, or is this the whole issue that Phoenix is killed with
Ctrl-C? I get the same results with the Wrapper though...

                            ---o0o---

When checking the -Djava.security.manager parameter in /bin/run.bat I
noticed that the parameter PHOENIX_SECURE is passed to the JVM. Isn't
this a bug? It should be PHOENIX_SM if I'm not completely mistaken??
Patch included if needed...

//
Johan

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:53, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
> When checking the -Djava.security.manager parameter in /bin/run.bat I
> noticed that the parameter PHOENIX_SECURE is passed to the JVM. Isn't
> this a bug? It should be PHOENIX_SM if I'm not completely mistaken??
> Patch included if needed...

Your right. Patch applied and bug fixed .. thanks!

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:53, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
>
>>in your proposal for the work directory (in Bugzilla) you mentioned that
>>it should be removed on startup as it still includes the temporary
>>directories if Phoenix was uncleanly shutdown. Will this be added at
>>some point,
>

> Just added it then. Could you test it out. It seems to work fine under linux
> and win2000 but then again I could not reproduce the bug ;)

I'll test it ASAP, but I can't see any changes in the CVS. Hmm. perhaps
my computer is playing tricks with me again.

I think we need to patch another thing before I can test ;) I'll get
back with that... do you use JDK 1.4 btw? Seems like someone added a
"new Exception( aString, oldException ); somewhere. I'm looking into
this now.

The bug/problem:
If you can't reproduce it something is strange here... Ugh these windows
  versions!

//

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:15, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
>
> Don't worry about it. It seems to be related to the ClassLoader not being
> garbaged collected prior to shutdown thread. Which seems to imply that
> different JVM/OS combos run GC at different schedules during shutdown (I
> always thought that shutdown hook was only thread in JVM during shutdown?).

Could be... strange though.

> Anyways it is wierd that it not happen on win2000 for me but it should be
> fixed so no need to worry ;)

Yep, thanks... but now different phoenixes need different work
directories (as you said in the CVS log), but why would anyone use the
same anyway?

//
Johan

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Johan,
>
>> Tested on WinXP Pro with SUN's JDK v1.3.1_3 and it works. (After the
>> JDK1.3 patch)
>>
>> Any clues why the directories aren't deleted when Phoenix is shutdown?
>> I can look into this, but I rather spend my little extra spare time on
>> the installer scripts. Could it be because Ctrl-C kills the JVM, NO?
>

> I should not reaseach it if I were you.  I think windows can have a
> delay on delete that mucks up some ant invocations and phoenix on
> shutdown too.  Both happe to me and I live with it :-(  At least until I
> do a full switch to Linux.

Agreed, one can live with this.

The problem was just that the work directory got HUUUGE after some
months of stopping and starting ;) ,but Peter's last update removes this
issue even if the problem still exists. Let's leave it as it is now.

<linux-switch>
Even after a full switch to Linux some of us must still make sure that
everything works on Windows :( I'm also waiting for a native JDK 1.3 for
OpenBSD ( even though I'm a Helsinki University CS guy ;). That will rock.
</linux-switch>

//
Johan

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Johan,

> Tested on WinXP Pro with SUN's JDK v1.3.1_3 and it works. (After the
> JDK1.3 patch)
>
> Any clues why the directories aren't deleted when Phoenix is shutdown?
> I can look into this, but I rather spend my little extra spare time on
> the installer scripts. Could it be because Ctrl-C kills the JVM, NO?

I should not reaseach it if I were you.  I think windows can have a
delay on delete that mucks up some ant invocations and phoenix on
shutdown too.  Both happe to me and I live with it :-(  At least until I
do a full switch to Linux.

- Paul

Re: Phoenix work directory

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.