Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Veit, Michael" <Mi...@us.rhodia.com> on 2004/06/09 15:26:59 UTC

Problems with 2.0, 2.5

I have a couple of issues:

I am copying an excel file and then modifying it. It contains images and
charts/graphs.

POI 2.0 - copies & modifies fine but upon save in Excel it crashes.

POI 2.5 - just copying w/o modifying - can't open in Excel - "unable to read
file" message.

It seems to be the chart page - when removed everything is ok, but
unfortunately I can't leave that off the spreadsheet.

I've tried saving the original file (the one being copied) as different xls
formats, with the same results.

I think the copying of images and graphs is supported in POI.

Specs:

Excel 2002 (10.5815.4219) SP-2
JDK  1.4
Win2K Prof, Server

Anyone have a clue?

AW: Problems with 2.0, 2.5

Posted by "KHZ (SAW)" <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Michael.

Recently there was a big discussion about that topic. I think Michael
Zalewski was telling a lot about the Escher layer.

I think it was the topic "including images in Excel sheets".

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

RE: Problems with 2.0, 2.5

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
By 'chart page' do you mean a ChartSheet?

I think POI does not deal well with ChartSheets (only Worksheets, and maybe
MacroSheets). ChartSheets and DialogSheets don't have rows or columns or
Index or DbCell records, and HSSF mangles these by putting those records
into the workbook stream.

If it is a ChartSheet, try embedding the chart on a Worksheet.