Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tyler MacDonald <ty...@yi.org> on 2005/11/01 22:36:04 UTC

Re: registry agony continues...

Tyler MacDonald <ty...@yi.org> wrote:
> 	I'm going to test this extensively this weekend if I get the time,
> including testing it on another system. Unfortuantely the other system is
> also perl 5.6.7, httpd 2.0.55, linux 2.6, so if I get the same problems more
> testing will be neccessary...
>
> 	The problem is with compiling code after the apache server has
> already started (ModPerl::Registry, maybe eval qq{} as well, not sure); if I
> compile everything during the startup phase, everything's happy.

	I still havent had a chance to play with this much more, but I've
noticed another weird side-effect:

[Tue Nov  1 12:59:54 2005] -e: Unicode character 0xffffffff is illegal at
/opt/crackerjacknet.com/lib/Crackerjack/newpasswd.pm line 23.
[Tue Nov  1 12:59:54 2005] -e: Malformed UTF-8 character (byte 0xfe) in lc
at /opt/crackerjacknet.com/lib/Crackerjack/newpasswd.pm line 23.

	newpasswd() is simply:

sub newpasswd (;$)
{
 my $length = shift || int(rand(4)+8);
 my $newpasswd = '';
 foreach my $i (1 .. $length)
 {
  $newpasswd .= lc(chr(int(rand(57)+33)));
 }
 $newpasswd;
}

	I'm changing it to build an array an join('') it together at the end
now to see if that prevents this, but...

	Could some bizzarre change in unicode settings be affecting the way
scripts are being compiled post-startup?

		Thanks,
			Tyler

Re: registry agony continues...

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 13:36 -0800, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> 	Could some bizzarre change in unicode settings be affecting the way
> scripts are being compiled post-startup?

That sounds like a good guess.  However, you would expect that sort of
problem to be repeatable and consistent.  This seems to just randomly
trash your I/O at various points, leading to different kinds of errors.

You could try explicitly setting your locale environment variables and
see if it helps.

- Perrin