Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian Gschwend <kt...@netlabs.org> on 2008/02/21 16:00:02 UTC

importing trunk only to an existing repository

Re: importing trunk only to an existing repository

Posted by Michael Haggerty <mh...@alum.mit.edu>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:00, Adrian Gschwend wrote:
>> I currently try to merge two former CVS trees of a project we had. [...]
>> Is this actually possible to do? If so, how can I just access the trunk
>> of this cvs2svn dump? I could also create a temporary repository if that
>> helps.
>
> Sure. Create a temporary repository and use cvs2svn to get your old CVS
> repository into it. Then use "svnadmin dump" to dump the temp repository
> to a text file. [...]

...or use cvs2svn's --dumpfile option to write the output directly into
a dumpfile rather than using a temporary repository.

Michael

Re: importing trunk only to an existing repository

Posted by Adrian Gschwend <kt...@netlabs.org>.

Re: importing trunk only to an existing repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:00, Adrian Gschwend wrote:

> I currently try to merge two former CVS trees of a project we had.
> As a
> start, I converted both CVS trees to SVN using cvs2svn, which worked
> fine. I already imported one of the trees into the new subversion
> repository.
>
> Both trees contain trunk, branches & tags now. But for the second tree
> which is not imported yet I just would like to get 'trunk', my idea is
> to import that into /tags of the new repository because that's what it
> actually was back then.

I don't understand how your old trunk can be a tag or tags? That
seems confused, or at least I am. :)

> I would like to have a full import because I am
> interested in the changelog of the files.
>
> Is this actually possible to do? If so, how can I just access the
> trunk
> of this cvs2svn dump? I could also create a temporary repository if
> that
> helps.

Sure. Create a temporary repository and use cvs2svn to get your old
CVS repository into it. Then use "svnadmin dump" to dump the temp
repository to a text file. Then use "svndumpfilter" to extract just
the trunk from that dump. Send that into "svnadmin load" pointing it
at your main repository and using the --parent-dir argument to tell
it where in the main repository to load it. You may then later have
to "svn mv" it in your main repository to rename or move it again if
necessary.