Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by emre akgün <em...@hotmail.com> on 2008/11/26 09:16:05 UTC

Building Query

Hi, i am newbie for lucene search. i have a bit complex query  like this:

SELECT mat.name matName,
FROM LIB_MATERIAL mat,
LIB_MAT_TYPE matType ,
LIB_SHELF shelf ,
LIB_ROOM room ,
FZA_PERSON res
WHERE mat.shelf_id = shelf.record_id(+)"
AND shelf.room_id = room.record_id(+)"
AND mat.material_type_id = matType.record_id"
AND mat.reserved_by_id = res.record_id (+)"AND mat.lended_to_id = res.record_id (+) AND (contains(mat.ft_mat,'book%')>0) ->> full text query fro oracle  how can i write this query for luecene? what is method for adaptation my query with lucene?
Windows Live Messenger'ın için Ücretsiz 30 İfadeyi yükle
http://www.livemessenger-emoticons.com/funfamily/tr-tr/

Re: Building Query

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Don't write this query in lucene <G>.... Step back and
take a deep breath and take off your database hat.

Lucene is NOT a RDBMS, it is a text search engine. You'll
drive yourself crazy trying to make Lucene into one. AND
you'll be very dissatisfied with the results.

Instead, think of how you can index your data to avoid the
whole concept of joins by de-normalizing your data and
doing simple text searches, albeit on different fields.

Or search back through the list for any posts from Marcelo
Ochoa who's done some very interesting things with Lucene
and Oracle databases, which *may* help (but I admit I
don't really understand the details).

Or ask whether what you really want is a hybrid solution
where you index the text data in Lucene and keep the
relational data in the database.

Or search the mail archive at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/

for "database" and read the many posts that have addressed
trying to use Lucene to work with data from an RDBMS.

Best
Erick