Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2008/01/29 21:29:52 UTC

Re: PIE / PIC in a nutshell

Peter Samuelson wrote:
> [Branko Cibej]
>
>> On the other hand, I'd like to hear a bit more about why we'd want to
>> use -fpie, apart from that "security people" like it.
>>

> To understand PIE you must understand PIC....

Aargh. I know what PIE does, and I know what PIC does, and I'm still
asking: Why would we want to use -fpie in the default compiler flags,
given that said flags can be easily overriden on any system that
supports -fpie?

In other words, if some security-enhanced Linux distro wants to use
-fpie all over the place, well and good. Nobody's stopping them.

-- Brane