Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2005/12/16 22:01:56 UTC

There has been some discussion and confusion over where to put mailing lists
for projects that are in the Incubator.  As the person who argued for the
current approach, which had to do with infrastructure issues, I'm also going
to suggest that it change.  We are finding that it is more and more
important to highlight when a project is in the Incubator, and to ensure
that there is no confusion in the mind of the public about that status.

The current approach is to put the mailing lists under the domain of the TLP
into which it was expected that they would go, and THE REASON for this had
to do with the difficulty of moving the mailing lists and the eyebrowse
archives.  HOWEVER, Roy has since written a script to move mailing lists,
and we no longer use eyebrowse.  And unlike the prior setup, it is fairly
straightforward to redirect an old archive location to a new one.

THEREFORE, new mailing lists should be created under the
@incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of the other project resources,
e.g., the web site and SVN subtree.

	--- Noel

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 16, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> My personal preference is to have incubated sub-projects use
> mailing lists and websites within the TLP containing a notice
> header that the project is under incubation (and may die).  My
> understanding is that you feel having the email address containing
> the word "incubator" will warn users, and I believe that we can
> achieve the same (or better) with a mail footer that contains the
> notice. Note: we already have footers automatically added to every
> email.
>
> Regardless, my desire for consistency vastly out weighs my
> arguments above, so if the this policy change is approved by the
> incubator community, I would like to see all mailing lists (with
> the exception of the few that are about to graduate) be changed to
> @incubator.

To what end?

geirm@apache.org

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> My personal preference is to have incubated sub-projects use mailing
> lists and websites within the TLP containing a notice header that the
> project is under incubation

The inclusion of a footer, perhaps an abbreviated form of the disclaimer
with a URL to the full one, seems a good idea.

Having all resources under the incubator domain was the original requirement
and desire of the Incubator PMC, relaxed only because of technical issues
that no longer apply.  These are probational projects, and the PRC (amongst
others) wants to ensure that the incubator branding on these projects is
crystal clear.  That includes to people who see nothing other than a URL or
e-mail address.

> if the this policy change is approved by the incubator [PMC]
> I would like to see all mailing lists (with the exception of
> the few that are about to graduate) be changed to @incubator.

Geir is making a list right now, and we can put .qmail files in place to
redirect while people adjust.

	--- Noel

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
since it's so easy to move them, should we move the latest projects
coming into incubator to @incubator?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
-0 for the same reason as Cliff; I'd much rather folks not have to
change mail lists (even if its not hard for infrastructure to
change). There is already a status file so its obvious to anyone who
cares what the status is of a project, I don't see why we need to
force email addresses to reflect the status as well.

On 20 Dec 2005, at 01:39, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Please vote on the following:
>>
>>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>>   site and SVN subtree.
>
> -0, and here's why:
>
> - I think identification of the incubating status of projects is very
> important, but I personally prefer Dain's suggestion of adding a
> footer message to mailing list posts (maybe with a shorter version of
> the disclaimer required in READMEs), which might be more effective
> than the mailing list address.
>
> - I think that the domain name should reflect the sponsoring project,
> whether that is the Incubator PMC or some other PMC.
>
> - I would have been -1, if it wasn't for the fact that Noel says that
> it is a minimal infra cost to move mailing lists now.
>
> Cliff

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:49:14PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.

Absolutely - it is very important that a project under incubation isn't
easily mistaken for a graduated project.

vh

Mads Toftum

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
+1

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Noel Bergman wrote:
> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.

+1 from me.

-David

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
If you all have any comments on this discussion, please send them to
general AT incubator.apache.org.

Begin forwarded message:

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Changing a mailing list is stil painful "further downstream".
> > Eg with the MARC archive or mail-archive.com or gmane or
> > whatever.
>
> We don't support any of those.  We provide the raw and mod_mbox archives,
> and those are what we support.  As you said, "there are other concerns that
> overrule this technical argument."

When Cocoon moved from xml.apache.org to cocoon.apache.org
some of us had similar concerns about the foreign archives.
There was no problem. Marc etc. still function properly.

-David

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> We don't support any of those.
>
> Who's "we"? As a user, I still prefer marc over mail-archives a real lot
> and am happy about any Apache project that's available on Marc.

mod_mbox[1] accepts patches. Feel free to help for any part of mod_mbox
or mail-archives.apache.org.

I really could use some help with integrating Lucene or another method
to do full text searching of the archives right now.  But help with any
part is always welcome.

-Paul

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/mod_mbox/

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/20/05, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > We don't support any of those.
>
> Who's "we"?

The Apache Software Foundation. Those other archives are maintained outside
of the ASF, by people who most likely have no affiliation with the ASF.
Therefore, the ASF cannot provide support for those archives - their support
comes from the organisations that run them.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Changing a mailing list is stil painful "further downstream".
> Eg with the MARC archive or mail-archive.com or gmane or
> whatever.

We don't support any of those.  We provide the raw and mod_mbox archives,
and those are what we support.  As you said, "there are other concerns that
overrule this technical argument."

> In the HTTP space, we have lots of tools for URI management

> in the email space (eg mailto:foo@apache.org) we don't have it
> (we just have a simple form of a "Redirect" that doesn't propagate,

We have the ability to map from the old address to the new one, and that can
be kept for as long or as short as necessary.

	--- Noel

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:49:14PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.

+0

(...)

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

On Dec 17, 2005, at 8:49 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.
>
> +1 from me.
>
> 	--- Noel

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42
This message is:  [ ] bloggable   [x] ask first    [ ] private

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com>.
   I can speak from our Beehive experience moving from Incubator to TLP.
  When we graduated, Infra successfully migrated all of our:

   beehive-<list>@incubator.apache.org

into:

   <list>@beehive.apache.org

including all of our subscribers and message history.  Thanks, much
Infra!  :)  The merged archives are available here:

   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/beehive-dev/

I believe that the beehive-<list>@incubator aliases still forward to the
new lists as I occasionally see mail from Beehive and Geronimo lists
that still go to @incubator addresses.  Could be wrong about this,
though -- can someone from Infra confirm this?

   If the goal is identifying things as incubating, my vote is a
(non-binding) +1 for projects that live here.

Eddie

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

transition from the project-user@incubator.apache.org to project-
user@new-home.apache.org? Will there be a forwarding of the old alias

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 18.12.2005, at 05:49, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.

+1.

Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 17, 2005, at 11:49 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.
>
> +1 from me.

+1

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

> +1

+1

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I think that this is the longest active running [vote] thread on an
apache list of all time...

It was started on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:49:14 GMT

Noel, can you please tally the votes? :)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Excuse me, but don't we have a -1 on this vote thread already? Is the
> idea to get Dain to change his vote by piling on more +1? Or have I
> completely missed the Tao of the voting process in Apache?

I think perhaps you have, and are mixing two concepts...

Any PMC member (read; contributor to project foo) can veto a commit of code
(or docs, or whatever) with a technical justification.

Nobody can veto releases, or procedural decisions or the like.  Those are
simple majority votes.

Bill

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> I'm still looking for an ISO 2000-able mechanism (repeatable,
> documented, understandable) to migrate the email lists in the
> incubator domain to the eventual TLP domain without losing threads,
> context, etc. I see that Cocoon apparently has merged their before-
> and after- graduation lists, but don't have any idea how well
> documented and repeatable that process was. For all I know, it was
> done by superhuman effort by one of the superhumans in infra.

AFAIK, I don't have superhuman abilities -- just a lot of scripting-foo.

It takes 5 minutes to move a list now, after I spent a couple weeks
working on the scripts to do it.  Nevertheless, I don't like moving
lists unless there is a good reason.  It is a potentially error-prone
process if something unforeseen blocks the move.

FYI, trailers are also hard to maintain because they go away
every time the list is reconfigured.  They also waste bits.

....Roy

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Excuse me, but don't we have a -1 on this vote thread already? Is
>> the idea to get Dain to change his vote by piling on more +1? Or
>> have I completely missed the Tao of the voting process in Apache?
>>
>> I thought that after a -1 the discussion started again on the
>> disagreements.
>
> No - it's not a veto.

Ok. My bad.

>> I'm still looking for an ISO 2000-able mechanism (repeatable,
>> documented, understandable) to migrate the email lists in the
>> incubator domain to the eventual TLP domain without losing
>> threads, context, etc. I see that Cocoon apparently has merged
>> their before- and after- graduation lists, but don't have any idea
>> how well documented and repeatable that process was. For all I
>> know, it was done by superhuman effort by one of the superhumans
>> in infra.
>
> What do  you need exactly?  can you post it to infra?

I got a reply from Roy who is one of the "superhumans". He says he
knows how to do it with some scripts.

Roy: "I don't like moving lists unless there is a good reason.  It is
a potentially error-prone process if something unforeseen blocks the
move."

What I'm looking for is a repeatable, documented process of migrating
email lists from the project-dev AT incubator.apache.org to project-
dev AT top-level-project.apache.org. What Roy has might be suitable
as a tool for part of the process. There are still questions about
how long the old alias will continue to work and whether threads are
maintained across the alias change.

But I'm still missing the rationale for making this big change to
users with the small justification that it makes the incubator more
visible by having it be in the email alias instead of all over the
web site.

Craig

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Excuse me, but don't we have a -1 on this vote thread already? Is
> the idea to get Dain to change his vote by piling on more +1? Or
> have I completely missed the Tao of the voting process in Apache?
>
> I thought that after a -1 the discussion started again on the
> disagreements.

No - it's not a veto.

geirm@apache.org

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Excuse me, but don't we have a -1 on this vote thread already? Is
> the idea to get Dain to change his vote by piling on more +1? Or
> have I completely missed the Tao of the voting process in Apache?
>
> I thought that after a -1 the discussion started again on the
> disagreements.

FWIU, vetos only apply to technical issues when a technical reason is
given.  Normally, Apache looks for "consensus" which at Apache means
all but a few dissenters.

So my -1 represents my strong dislike for this proposal, but it is
nothing more than my opinion.

-dain

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Carsten

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>> Offering an alternate proposal as part of a vote thread after the
>> discussion
>> has taken place already where one did not participate *is*
>> "anything else" by
>> the way. What I didn't like is the very fact that someone out-of-
>> the-blue proposes
>> an alternate, since that derails the vote thread, takes time and
>> energy of
>> everyone, and is just counter-productive in the end. You may
>> notice that both Cliff
>> and I have some reservations but we're not getting in the way of
>> making progress.
>
> My proposal is not "out-of-the-blue".  I brought this up a few days
> ago in the "@domain for Incubator mailing lists" thread to which
> there was one completely useless response from Geir "To what end?"

Which you ignored for some reason.  Why was it 'useless'?  I was
trying to figure out why you wanted all podling email domains to
switch to @incubator, not just the new/recent ones.

I'm still confused on what you actually want, because  you voted
against your own suggestion.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 20, 2005, at 2:13 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:19:21PM -0800, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Give me a break.
>
> No. The incubator PMC has "given breaks" before and it let to
> undesired
> side effects so now we're not going to do that anymore.
>
>> I'm not trying to hide anything.
>
> In general, when discussing policy or a general case, it is a good
> idea to
> not use a personal form of communication, because policy has
> nothing to do
> with specific individuals.
>
> Nevertheless, noted.
>
>> You have a goal
>> to make sure that no one is confused about the status of an
>> incubating project, and you have a proposal that you believe works
>> for mailing lists.  I am suggesting alternate proposal.
>
> "You", "I", "me". *We* have a goal. *You* needs to be a part of
> *we*, in
> general there is no "I" involved. This is "us vs a problem", not
> "you vs
> me". Don't confuse the two.
>
>> If you don't like my proposal, simply state that
>
> I read mads his email as exactly that. I even saw two arguments (one
> its clean and simple, two its less cumbersome if we decide halfway
> through incubation that a project is a better fit elsewhere).
>
>> , but please don't
>> imply that offering an alternate proposal is anything else.
>
> C'mon, dude! Do you want to bicker about what some words from
> someone in some
> email thread might have "implied" or do you want to help tackle the
> issue at
> hand?

+100000 I couldn't agree with you more.  It is really annoying when
someone chooses to "bicker about what some words from someone in some
email thread might have "implied"".

> Offering an alternate proposal as part of a vote thread after the
> discussion
> has taken place already where one did not participate *is*
> "anything else" by
> the way. What I didn't like is the very fact that someone out-of-
> the-blue proposes
> an alternate, since that derails the vote thread, takes time and
> energy of
> everyone, and is just counter-productive in the end. You may notice
> that both Cliff
> and I have some reservations but we're not getting in the way of
> making progress.

My proposal is not "out-of-the-blue".  I brought this up a few days
ago in the "@domain for Incubator mailing lists" thread to which
there was one completely useless response from Geir "To what end?"
and one from Noel where he agreed that the use of a notification
footer was a good idea, but "having all resources under the incubator
domain was the original requirement and desire of the Incubator PMC,
relaxed only because of technical issues that no longer apply".  That
was it and then it became a vote thread, so I added my comments to
the vote thread.  It appears that others would like to discuss this
more.

>> If you have specific, issues with my proposal, that will be
>> welcome also.
>
> Mads listed two. Of those I find the "simpler" qualifier extremely
> important,
> since in general this stuff is not, and that's what leads to
> confusion,
> frustration, etc.

It always helps a discussion to simply use word like "simpler" and
phrases like "leads to confusion" without a reason why that is true ;)

> Anyway, I suggest you accept there is no "break" to be had, you
> weren't around
> when the relevant discussions took place, and hence shouldn't re-
> start one now.

I wasn't aware that new community members weren't welcome in
discussions that took place once a long time ago.  In that case, can
you please place a warning on such email threads, since it isn't
possible since all new users will by definition not be aware of such
discussions, and we will kindly keep out of these discussions ;)

-dain

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:19:21PM -0800, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Give me a break.

No. The incubator PMC has "given breaks" before and it let to undesired
side effects so now we're not going to do that anymore.

> I'm not trying to hide anything.

In general, when discussing policy or a general case, it is a good idea to
not use a personal form of communication, because policy has nothing to do
with specific individuals.

Nevertheless, noted.

> You have a goal
> to make sure that no one is confused about the status of an
> incubating project, and you have a proposal that you believe works
> for mailing lists.  I am suggesting alternate proposal.

"You", "I", "me". *We* have a goal. *You* needs to be a part of *we*, in
general there is no "I" involved. This is "us vs a problem", not "you vs
me". Don't confuse the two.

> If you don't like my proposal, simply state that

I read mads his email as exactly that. I even saw two arguments (one
its clean and simple, two its less cumbersome if we decide halfway
through incubation that a project is a better fit elsewhere).

> , but please don't
> imply that offering an alternate proposal is anything else.

C'mon, dude! Do you want to bicker about what some words from someone in some
email thread might have "implied" or do you want to help tackle the issue at
hand?

Offering an alternate proposal as part of a vote thread after the discussion
has taken place already where one did not participate *is* "anything else" by
the way. What I didn't like is the very fact that someone out-of-the-blue proposes
an alternate, since that derails the vote thread, takes time and energy of
everyone, and is just counter-productive in the end. You may notice that both Cliff
and I have some reservations but we're not getting in the way of making progress.

> If you have specific, issues with my proposal, that will be welcome also.

Mads listed two. Of those I find the "simpler" qualifier extremely important,
since in general this stuff is not, and that's what leads to confusion,
frustration, etc.

(...)

Anyway, I suggest you accept there is no "break" to be had, you weren't around
when the relevant discussions took place, and hence shouldn't re-start one now.

LSD

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Give me a break.  I'm not trying to hide anything.  You have a goal
to make sure that no one is confused about the status of an
incubating project, and you have a proposal that you believe works
for mailing lists.  I am suggesting alternate proposal.

If you don't like my proposal, simply state that, but please don't
imply that offering an alternate proposal is anything else.  If you

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 17, 2005, at 8:49 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.

-1 (non-binding)

I don't have the impression, that the older model was causing any
trouble and it was simpler and saved work.

Jochen

--
Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the
boat. (Mark Twain)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
-1 I prefer to have a new sub project associated with the TLP
community and use a footer to note incubation status.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
+1

Helps keeps things organized...  anything that helps there is good
these days...

geirm@apache.org

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 23:49 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Please vote on the following:
>
>   New mailing lists should be created under the
>   @incubator.apache.org domain, just as all of
>   the other project resources, e.g., the web
>   site and SVN subtree.
>
> +1 from me.

+1.

Sanjiva.