Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/16 23:17:44 UTC

Re: system.listMethods support in apache XML-RPC

Greg,

On 11/16/06, Greg Johnson <gr...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

>    I read (with some dismay) the interaction between you and Walter
> Mundt (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLRPC-75) over finally
> adding support for introspection to Apache XML-RPC.  I was not
> altogether surprise that, after 5 months, 'the user lost interest' -
> it seems a _very_ long period to negotiate over several obstacles
> which turned out not to be obstacles (overloading).
>
> Can you clarify for me the current state of the code?  I am trying to
> use version 3 in the accepted way (system.listMethods, as widely
> used) and get a NoSuchHandler error - I guess this means the patch
> Walter proposed has not been included?  Is this simply because he
> didn't wish to provide further documentation?

I am reading (with some dismay) your interpretation of what happened
in XMLRPC-75.

First of all, please be so kind that the first months of 2006 have
been exactly that time frame when I was working very, very much on the
implementation of version 3. Nevertheless, I considered introspection
so interesting that I took the time to bring it into the very first
beta release.

I would also want you to note, that Walters first patch against 3.0
was submitted at 24/Feb. The full implementation, as proposed by
Walter, was entered by me at 22/May, which is three months later. If
you expect more speed, then I suggest that you jump into the project
and start to contribute or pay for support. (And, if you do that, then
I would ask you to inspect the average time between reporting a bug in
the XML-RPC 3 project and resolving the bug, which is better than any
professional support I am aware of.)

Finally, if you have any issues with the current code, then I would
like you to specify more details, preferrably in a Jira issue.

> It would be great to see some mention of this issue on the main
> website - it is a prety fundamental aspect that is available in most
> other implementations.

As I wrote in XMLRPC-75: Patches welcome. If you want something to be
changed, do it.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: system.listMethods support in apache XML-RPC

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Greg Johnson <gr...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Could I ask you to clarify one point - is introspection available
> available in the release available at present on the website?  Would
> you be able to point me to a keyword I could use to search the javadocs?

XML-RPC introspection is available. However, it must be explicitly
enabled and how to do that is possibly non-obvious. That's what was
missing in XMLRPC-75 finally.

I have added some documentation now, which you'll find at

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/xmlrpc/trunk/src/site/apt/introspection.apt

Note, that this documentation is for the current SVN version, not for
the 3.0 release. You'll find nightly builds at

    http://people.apache.org/dist/ws/xmlrpc/nightly/