Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch> on 2004/02/13 18:08:08 UTC

API changes in Criteria before Release 1.0

hi all,

Criteria contains some deprecated methods dealing with orderBy and groupBy.
these methods have been moved to query a long time ago.

what about deleting those methods _before_ releasing 1.0 ?

jakob

RE: API changes in Criteria before Release 1.0

Posted by Larry Streepy <la...@staffmix.com>.
To me, the question boils down to when the methods were deprecated.  If
there was a real release in which the methods were deprecated, then in a
subsequent release they can be removed.  Now, exactly how many releases you
wait is a matter of policy and the level of change you expect your consumers
to deal with.

I don't know when these methods were deprecated.  If it was part of the
string of RC's, then they should not come out in the final 1.0.  I don't
know the history of OJB, so I don't know if there was an "official" 0.9 or
something that everyone considered a true release of the product.  If there
was such a beast, and the methods were deprecated in that release, then it
would be reasonable to remove them in the 1.0 final release.

This may be open source, but people depend on these API's to implement real
products.  Thus, you need to treat OJB with the same level of care and
provide a reasonable level of stability in the API.  It's just good product
management.

Thanks.
Larry.

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.