Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/11/01 00:09:56 UTC

Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements

On Oct 31, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 10/31/2011 03:15 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> above the blue bar.

> The solicitations are for the "oooES" PayPal account.

>>> Yes, this is a good idea...IMO.

>>> This was discussed (somewhat) early on. I, like you, felt the N-L
>>> communities might be better served by moving them to the wiki. But,
>>> then the question was -- who should do this? Should anyone (else)
>>> take ownership of these areas?
>>
>> Exactly the correct question. We need to have people from these
>> communities appear and take "ownership" of their site. Once they do
>> then we can suggest that the wiki is better and simple translations
>> of the main OOo site content is best.
>>
>> My current approach is do the sites where interest is expressed or
>> expected because we know people from that part of the community are
>> present on ooo-dev.
>>
>> I'm doing the minimum to get each started. One reason I don't want BZ
>> yet, particularly for these NL sites.
>
> I understand completely. We are just really in the beginning stages of what to with this legacy area and how to use it *now*. Maybe an alternate [DISCUSS] thread or some more work vis a vis the wiki might be in order. There is a LOT to deal with and really I feel that so many of these comments and suggestions are really what I consider missing the "big picture" at this place in time.

The comments and questions about the logo click and "Ajax" / no wrapping certain pages are pertinent regardless of the big picture. I applaud engagement at that level.

Yes, a CWiki is a good idea. If someone would start a page with issues like terms and donation buttons that decisions that then need action that would help.

I am also looking forward to talking with people at Apachecon. And buying some drinks for Infrastructure.

> This is, a "staging" area after all.
>
> I applaud your efforts and feel badly that a lot of what I had done earlier had to be redone, but, well, I guess I was always anticipating a LOT of clean-up before serious discussion.

Thanks. And please don't feel badly. We all had to be patient while waiting for ooo-site and I wasn't paying close attention and neglected to verify.

BTW - kenai2website.sh now includes dos2unix.pl. If the project is already in the ooo-site svn then the kenai export remains in /tmp and you can copy all or most of it over the existing directory.

Regards,
Dave