Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Urban <so...@toxa.de> on 2005/10/01 13:42:25 UTC

Looking for special kind of SVN-client

Hi,

is there any SVN-client providing my situation here?

I'm usually working with a set of remote servers, that are Linux-based
each. I'm developing software on one or more remove servers using IDEs
integrating support for SFTP. There is a single IDE I'm using most ...
this IDE supports SFTP-projects on remote servers and it supports
SVN-client integration. However, it does not support both in conjunction.

I'd prefer having an SVN client which is capable of working with
"working copies" available through SFTP and managing to view diffs,
commit changes etc. using an SVN-repository. Both in conjunction. SFTP
can't be replaced by WebDAV (WebFolder) due to locking issues on server.
So it is a requirement.

Most available clients require local working copy and can't be run on
server since I don't want to have bandwidth-consuming X remote desktop
or similar.

So, before I'm going start to have develop my own client I would
appreciate to know if there's a single client matching these criteria.
Any hint is welcome!

Best Regards,
Thomas Urban

Re: Looking for special kind of SVN-client

Posted by Thomas Urban <so...@toxa.de>.
Raman Gupta wrote:

>If your client is also linux, you could try sshfs-fuse to mount the
>remote ssh filesystem locally, and then use any existing svn client with it.
>
>http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

Thanks for your advise, but I missed to include another requirement ...
my desktop runs WinXP. Nevertheless having such a filesystem driver
under Linux is one option I missed to consider before. However, it
requires to restart my box to Linux first before committing changes made
to source on remote server.

I will have to think about this opportunity of switching system if
required. At least it will consume less time than writing my own client
here.

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm>.
Thomas Urban wrote:

> I'd prefer having an SVN client which is capable of working with
> "working copies" available through SFTP and managing to view diffs,
> commit changes etc. using an SVN-repository. Both in conjunction. SFTP
> can't be replaced by WebDAV (WebFolder) due to locking issues on server.
> So it is a requirement.
>
> Most available clients require local working copy and can't be run on
> server since I don't want to have bandwidth-consuming X remote desktop
> or similar.

If your client is also linux, you could try sshfs-fuse to mount the
remote ssh filesystem locally, and then use any existing svn client with it.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

Cheers,
Raman