Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by jacques couzteau <li...@bitfaeule.net> on 2004/03/31 00:29:01 UTC

Newbie running a servlet. help appreciated.

I just tried the cocoon-mag servlet from steve puntes article on
publishing an online-mag with cocoon. but i had no success. These are
my first steps with cocoon, so i might be missing something.

The article is here:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/23/cocoon-magazine.html

The servlet is here:
http://www.candlelightsoftware.com/downloads/cocoon-mag.war

According to the article i just need to drop the servlet in my
webapps-directory, which i did.

---
I get the following error:
Cocoon 2 - Internal server error
type fatal
message Language Exception
description org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Language Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error
compiling sitemap_xmap: Line 0, column 0: error: java.io.IOException:
read error 1 error
source Cocoon servlet
stack-trace
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Language Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error
compiling sitemap_xmap
---
I tried it with two different versions of  Tomcat: 4.1.30 , 5.0.19 and
i'm using cocoon 2.1.4

I can test tomcat by calling the default url
http://localhost:8079/
http://localhost:8078/

[I changed the port for tomcat to 8078 and 8079, because 8080 is used
by something else]

i have sucessfully tested cocoon by loading http://localhost:8888/

I'm running all of this on macosx 10.3.3 Did i miss something or are
the versions of the servlet and my software (tomcat / cocoon)
incompatible ?

thanks for help.

--jacques

Re: [genuine] Re: Newbie running a servlet. help appreciated.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 31.03.2004 01:04, Jochen Hagenström wrote:

>>> I just tried the cocoon-mag servlet from steve puntes article on
>>> publishing an online-mag with cocoon. but i had no success. These are
>>> my first steps with cocoon, so i might be missing something.
>>

>> There is no need to download the WAR from that place (which is Cocoon
>> 2.0.3 btw), just use Cocoon 2.1.4 and type "build war" for a 2.1.4 WAR
>> file.
>

> i suppose i'd need the original files ( XSL stylesheets and the sitemap
> file), right? I don't have them. Is it possible in that case to run the
> servlet without installing old software?

Now I'm missing something. The article describes a Cocoon based
application and you want to try it out? Yes, then you need the
additional stuff. This can be classes, stylesheets, sitemaps, or
similar. From what I see on a quick look you only need the articles
directory and the files in the root. I don't know exactly if the sitemap
works as it is, but just try it out and report back any errors.

Joerg

Re: [genuine] Re: Newbie running a servlet. help appreciated.

Posted by Jochen Hagenström <jo...@hagenstroem.net>.
thank you for your quick reply.

Am 31.03.2004 um 00:40 schrieb Joerg Heinicke:

> On 31.03.2004 00:29, jacques couzteau wrote:
>
>> I just tried the cocoon-mag servlet from steve puntes article on
>> publishing an online-mag with cocoon. but i had no success. These are
>> my first steps with cocoon, so i might be missing something.
>
> There is no need to download the WAR from that place (which is Cocoon
> 2.0.3 btw), just use Cocoon 2.1.4 and type "build war" for a 2.1.4 WAR
> file.

i suppose i'd need the original files ( XSL stylesheets and the sitemap
file), right? I don't have them. Is it possible in that case to run the
servlet without installing old software?

jacques

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.