Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Alexander Bochmann <ab...@ecosoft.net> on 2006/05/29 16:10:51 UTC

PHP-bridge: does anyone actually use it?

Hi,

I've played with Jetspeed-2 and the php bridge recently, but I haven't
managed to get it working reliably.

I've built a php4 (4.4.2) with servlet support and am running Jetspeed-2
under Java 1.5 on Linux.

Even when just reloading a phpinfo() page several times, I get SIGSEVs,
terminating the whole Java VM:

# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0487c19b, pid=2207, tid=62430112
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libphp4.so+0x17619b]  zend_hash_index_update_or_next_insert+0x2b

Googling for this error, it seems to have been a common problem with the
php servlet integration for the last couple of years, and obviously has
never been solved.

Also, trying to run a "real" PHP application shows that several
environment variables that exist for PHP running on an Apache httpd are
missing in the servlet environment (SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT, for
example), and setting them manually results in whole new categories of
crashing...

So my question is: Has anyone ever used the PHP bridge for anything else
besides the sample application, and possibly even in a production
environment? And if yes, what kind of magic needs to be applied to make
it work without frequent crashes?

Alex.

Re: PHP-bridge: does anyone actually use it?

Posted by Antonello Calo' <ca...@ce.unipr.it>.
Il giorno 29/mag/06, alle ore 16:10, Alexander Bochmann ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I've played with Jetspeed-2 and the php bridge recently, but I haven't
> managed to get it working reliably.
>
> I've built a php4 (4.4.2) with servlet support and am running
> Jetspeed-2
> under Java 1.5 on Linux.
>
> Even when just reloading a phpinfo() page several times, I get
> SIGSEVs,
> terminating the whole Java VM:
>
> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0487c19b, pid=2207, tid=62430112
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libphp4.so+0x17619b]  zend_hash_index_update_or_next_insert+0x2b
>
> Googling for this error, it seems to have been a common problem
> with the
> php servlet integration for the last couple of years, and obviously
> has
> never been solved.
>
> Also, trying to run a "real" PHP application shows that several
> environment variables that exist for PHP running on an Apache httpd
> are
> missing in the servlet environment (SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT, for
> example), and setting them manually results in whole new categories of
> crashing...
>
> So my question is: Has anyone ever used the PHP bridge for anything
> else
> besides the sample application, and possibly even in a production
> environment? And if yes, what kind of magic needs to be applied to
> make
> it work without frequent crashes?

I'm trying to configure it, but it seems working well only with very
simple application. I tried also with Java 1.4 but I had same problems.

Antonello

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El lun, 29-05-2006 a las 16:10 +0200, Alexander Bochmann escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I've played with Jetspeed-2 and the php bridge recently, but I haven't
> managed to get it working reliably.
>
> I've built a php4 (4.4.2) with servlet support and am running Jetspeed-2
> under Java 1.5 on Linux.
>
> Even when just reloading a phpinfo() page several times, I get SIGSEVs,
> terminating the whole Java VM:
>
> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0487c19b, pid=2207, tid=62430112
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libphp4.so+0x17619b]  zend_hash_index_update_or_next_insert+0x2b
>
> Googling for this error, it seems to have been a common problem with the
> php servlet integration for the last couple of years, and obviously has
> never been solved.
>
> Also, trying to run a "real" PHP application shows that several
> environment variables that exist for PHP running on an Apache httpd are
> missing in the servlet environment (SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT, for
> example), and setting them manually results in whole new categories of
> crashing...
>
> So my question is: Has anyone ever used the PHP bridge for anything else
> besides the sample application, and possibly even in a production
> environment? And if yes, what kind of magic needs to be applied to make
> it work without frequent crashes?

Roger Ruttimann (and other people at itgroundworks) claimed when the
bridge got committed that they used them in production. I'm not sure if
the problem you quote can be solved by using 1.4.X (the php bridge is
relatively old code) or by having the right environment.

In any case, I don't usually do PHP and I have never tried to make the
PHP bridge work. It looks like there is other people interested, so
please post your conclusions if any.

Regards
Santiago

> Alex.