Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "dam6923 ." <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/20 00:59:10 UTC

[VFS] Tar Archiver

Hello,

I am a big fan of the commons VFS and commons compress libraries.  I
use them a lot of work and have been real time savers.  Having dug
through the code of commons compress, I noticed a big "TODO" comment
about the TarInputStream#skip() method.  I have corrected the issue
and the performance boost, as measured on my machine, is exceptional.

Please consider adding it and publishing it ASAP.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-234#comment-13714189

What else needs to be done on the COMPRESS library to get it ready for
a new release?

Thanks.
~BB

Re: [VFS] Tar Archiver

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Beluga,
  Whatever you and Stefan get resolved for Ant, he will then port over to
Commons [compress], being the primary maintainer of both sets of archiver
code.  ;)

Matt

Re: [compress][VFS] Tar Archiver

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-07-20, dam6923 . wrote:

> I am a big fan of the commons VFS and commons compress libraries.  I
> use them a lot of work and have been real time savers.  Having dug
> through the code of commons compress, I noticed a big "TODO" comment
> about the TarInputStream#skip() method.  I have corrected the issue
> and the performance boost, as measured on my machine, is exceptional.

I plan to look into your patch over the weekend.

> What else needs to be done on the COMPRESS library to get it ready for
> a new release?

We've started to implement 7z and in a branch even LZMA support.  I'm
not sure whether Damjan want's to extend what we already have but in an
ideal world there'd be a XZ for Java release so we can merge the branch
and deal with "normal" 7z archives and read LZMA standalone files.

Stefan