Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Bob DeMattia <rj...@alum.wpi.edu> on 1999/10/20 22:10:00 UTC

Re: other/5173: ErrorDocument redirect not working with MicrosoftInternet Explorer 5.0

The following reply was made to PR other/5173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bob DeMattia" <rj...@alum.wpi.edu>
To: "Marc Slemko" <ma...@znep.com>
Cc: <ap...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: other/5173: ErrorDocument redirect not working with MicrosoftInternet Explorer 5.0
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:57:28 -0400

 Marc:
 Now I've seen everything (or at least a little bit more).

 I have to admit, when you told me that my error response page
 had to be "longer", I had my doubts.  It sounded to strange.
 But, alas, you are right and it is true.  By trial and error,
 I've ascertained (with no help from Microsoft) that the magic
 number is 1392.  If an error response is 1,392 bytes or longer,
 IE will display the ErrorDocument response from the server rather
 than its own local page.  You might want to put that one in your
 notebook.

 Thanks for the help Marc.  If only I could get the kind of response
 from Microsoft that I get from Apache, my life would be a lot easier.

 Regards,
 Bob