Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1998/03/05 07:21:44 UTC

#define collisions

Well, we knew this was coming.  Now that I am including the Apache header
files with all the appropriate -D's set, I am hitting a couple of
collisions.  HAVE_CRYPT_H from conf.h, for example.  Is there some logic
behind using autoconf-style #define's here?  Aren't we pretty much
guaranteeing clashes with any module using autoconf by doing this?

-Rasmus

Re: #define collisions

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Sigh.
>
> Ok let's try this another way... what could we do that would help you, a
> very popular module author, the most?
>
> I think I know the answer... I just don't see the shortest way there.
>
> Dean
>
> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> > Well, we knew this was coming.  Now that I am including the Apache header
> > files with all the appropriate -D's set, I am hitting a couple of
> > collisions.  HAVE_CRYPT_H from conf.h, for example.  Is there some logic
> > behind using autoconf-style #define's here?  Aren't we pretty much
> > guaranteeing clashes with any module using autoconf by doing this?

I know it probably sounds like I am constantly whining.  I am really not
trying to be a pain. ;)  I was around when we first added the HAVE_*
defines to conf.h.  I think I even suggested to keep these consistent with
autoconf so that a later move to autoconf would not be too painful.  I
wasn't looking ahead far enough, and I certainly can't blame others for
not being able to see the future.

I will figure out a way around this.

-Rasmus

Re: #define collisions

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Sigh.

Re: #define collisions

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Isn't any module using autoconf practically guaranteeing a conflict with
> anything else using autoconf?

Well, yes, but normally one wouldn't need to use the defines from that
something else.  Apache is a special case because the API is badly
designed.

-Rasmus

Re: #define collisions

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.