Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com> on 2006/02/27 12:19:43 UTC

[proposal] Using locationmap for location configuration

Hi all,

I propose to implement the locationmap to overcome the location
configuration nightmare that we currently have.

For example the blog pub is using hardcoded locations which forces the
user to implement lots of files to change the location.

In the case of the blog you find e.g.
- sitemap.xmap
<global-variables>
 <blog-url>http://192.168.1.77:8888/blog</blog-url>
</global-variables>

- publication.xconf
<content-dir src="lenya/pubs/blog/content"/>

The idea of the locatiomap is described for forrest
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/locationmap.html
"A locationmap defines a mapping from requests to location strings.

It was conceived to:

      * Provide a more powerful means for semantic linking.
      * Enable Forrest with a standard configuration override mechanism.
      * Decouple the conceptual source space used by Cocoon from the
        concrete source space, so that a change in the concrete sources
        does not impact on the sitemap."

Further an interesting usecase of the locationmap in forrest is
lenya. ;-)
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/locationmap.html#source-from-remote-cms

If you have read the above document then you understand how we could
overcome the hardcoded locations in lenya.

I would like to try to integrate the locationmap to demonstrate a proof
of concept.

wdyt?

salu2
--