Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2020/06/25 16:29:42 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Add windows jobs to PR checks

I merged some new AcceptanceTests to develop after having my PR go GREEN.
But now these tests are failing in Windows.

I'd like to propose that we add the Windows jobs to our PR checks if we
plan to keep testing on Windows in CI.

Please vote or discuss.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: [PROPOSAL] Add windows jobs to PR checks

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
+1 to add Windows jobs to PR checks (1)

I know there are some folks who may be resistant to this for good reasons,
but the problem is that what we are currently doing is untenable and
wasteful. Every other week, I hit this and then waste a day reverting,
fixing, resubmitting.

I don't want to submit more PRs with tests until this is actually resolved
because I'm sick of this problem.

In order of my preferences:

1) add Windows jobs to PR checks
2) remove Windows jobs from CI if we don't test them in PR (I *NEVER* want
to see a *GREEN* PR that then breaks CI)
3) add some new complicated process in which we manually or automatically
trigger Windows jobs against a PR *BEFORE* we consider merging it to develop
4) stop writing new tests or editing existing tests that might fail on
Windows

Thanks,
Kirk

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Requesting Windows checks on an individual PR is now as simple as adding a "windows" label.

Labels can be added in GitHub (just below the list of reviewers).  The best time to add this is when creating the PR (if adding this label to an existing PR, you'll need to push another commit or an empty commit before it will "see" the new label).

A huge thanks to new committer @sabbey37 for making this possible!

On 6/25/20, 3:51 PM, "Kirk Lund" <kl...@apache.org> wrote:

    How about another option:

    6) Provide someway to file a secondary/optional Pull Request that just runs
    the Windows tests. This 2nd PR would never go anywhere (just get closed
    after reviewing the test results) and it could even be on a fork of Apache
    Geode to keep it from polluting the main PR section for Apache Geode.
    Submitting this Windows PR would be optional and I would probably only
    submit certain kinds of changes or tests to run on the Windows tests.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
How about another option:

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>.
What I am looking for is a script like following:

./regression -Z <aws instance size - default i3.2xlarge, but please use i3.large whenever possible> deploy \
  -n <number of instances> \
  -o <Operating system - default centos7> \
  -g <path to a GemFire build TAR file> \
  -u <your username for correlation in hydradb - required> \
  -t <your teamname for display by regression tools: optional - no default> \
  -k <public ssh key generated by you to access instances once they are launched (id_rsa.pub).> \
  -F <path to local functional test file for upload: optional> \
  <regression-name used to uniquely identify your regression>

  Example:
    ./regression deploy -n 10 -o centos7 \
        -g ~/gemfire/closed/pivotalgf-assembly/build/distributions/pivotal-gemfire-regression-0.0.0.tgz \
        -k ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub -u johndoe -t storageteam myregression
```

Operating systems to choose from are:
* centos7
* rhel7
* ubuntu14*
* ubuntu16*
* sles12*
* sles11*
* windows
^^^^^^^^^ ------------>

We use to have a
 script call "precheckin". I forgot if we can select operating system like above "regression" script.

On 6/25/20, 4:09 PM, "Xiaojian Zhou" <zh...@vmware.com> wrote:

    I vote to is also with current/existing process (not running for every PR).

    We can create an on-request prechecking running on windows machine like what we did for running some regression tests, if someone really need to run it on windows (Actually, I'd love to have this tool)

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Mark Hanson <mh...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donal Evans <do...@vmware.com>.
+1

I recently ran into some Windows failures related to test ordering and Integration tests not properly cleaning up after themselves (totally unrelated to my changes) after merging a PR. If the PR checks had shown these failures, the underlying issue could have been addressed before merging my changes and avoided the need to revert.
________________________________
+1, what was the reason for it not being included the PR before?
________________________________

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.
Rebase complete and draft PR is open. I see the same null pointer issue Dale reported. Its a problem with the crufty Gradle Docker plugin we are using. It is the very reason we were thinking about making this move towards JUnit 5.

Here is what I think for next steps.

1) Disable test parallelization via Gradle Docker plugin.
2) Stabilize any other test issues.
3) Migrate to new Gradle runner for parallelization.

-Jake

On Jun 29, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Dale Emery <de...@vmware.com>> wrote:

• CI failures on JDK 11
• NPE thrown apparently by Gradle

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

On Jun 29, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>> wrote:

@Jacob Barrett<ma...@vmware.com> @Dale Emery<ma...@vmware.com> I am excited to see progress on this. What I do not know, is what Junit5 buys us in terms of test isolation and parallelism compared to what we have now.

Based on Jen’s comment regarding fixing the docker plugin we use to launch JUnit tests in isolation.

On Jun 26, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>> wrote:

A bigger effort (but I think more correct and sustainable) would be to switch to junit 5 where something like this could more easily be implemented.

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.

From: Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, June 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Docker on Windows
Awesome! I will take a quick stab at rebasing the changes and see if anything has improved.

I will figure out a good place to setup a shared branch for collaboration.

-Jake

On Jun 29, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Dale Emery <de...@vmware.com>> wrote:

Here are my notes from my most recent attempts:

• November
• Added JUnit 5 to geode-junit API
• Configured geode-junit and geode-core to run all tests via JUnit 5
• CI failures on JDK 11
• NPE thrown apparently by Gradle
• December
• Ran tests in JDK 11 on my Mac
• Failures do not occur on my Mac
• Set gradle’s log level to info
• Results in CI logs so enormous that Chrome cannot display them in a bearable timeframe
• Then the whole PR CI pipeline became unusable
• So I was able to gain no further information about the cause of the gradle NPEs

Here is the branch the way I left things: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdemery-pivotal%2Fgeode%2Ftree%2Fold%2Fgeode-junit5&amp;data=02%7C01%7Crhoughton%40vmware.com%7C09249e9ba58844c7563308d81c588743%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C1%7C637290513849574069&amp;sdata=fPzImBwZ2zivCSdP6mPCGBFQNrpaahQuhZNpP3I4%2BIY%3D&amp;reserved=0

About the PR CI pipeline becoming unusable… I don’t have any notes about what “unusable” means. I suspect it was unrelated to my PR, but I’m not sure.

Cheers,
Dale

On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>> wrote:

Dale,

Sorry I thought it was Kirk. Do you have a branch somewhere with your work so far? Can you refresh us all on the issues you hit and what you think the next steps would be?

Thanks,
Jake

On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>> wrote:

It was Dale who worked on migrating Geode to use JUnit 5. I know he ran
into some issues but I don't recall what they were. I'm definitely up for
helping on the JUnit 5 front!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:30 AM Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>> wrote:

If the effort to do both is less than the sum of each individually then I
say lets do it.

Kirk, I recall you putting some effort into JUnit 5 at some point.

-Jake

On Jun 26, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>> wrote:

A bigger effort (but I think more correct and sustainable) would be to
switch to junit 5 where something like this could more easily be
implemented.

--Jens

On 6/26/20, 9:11 AM, "Robert Houghton" <rh...@vmware.com>> wrote:

The plugin code that spawns junit test workers on containers needs
some serious help. Aside from the benefit we would get on windows, we also
are blocked on getting to the next major version of Gradle with the current
tool. I really think it might be easier to write our own Gradle plugin at
this point.

From: Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>>
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org<ma...@geode.apache.org> <de...@geode.apache.org>>
Subject: Docker on Windows

On Jun 25, 2020, at 12:23 PM, Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>> wrote:
It's been a couple of years since Sai and I tried (but failed) to
dockerize the tests. I'm sure docker support has improved and it might be
worth trying that again.

Docker on windows has improved a lot but wasn’t the major issue the
docker plugin for Gradle needed some serious work?

I have recently been experimenting with the Docker/Kubernetes for
Windows experience. Perhaps we can take another stab at this issue.

-Jake

—
Dale Emery
demery@vmware.com<ma...@vmware.com>>

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Here is the branch the way I left things: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdemery-pivotal%2Fgeode%2Ftree%2Fold%2Fgeode-junit5&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cjabarrett%40vmware.com%7C1d35ce2b861a4caf5a4f08d81c574bc4%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637290508574727794&amp;sdata=jTQbw4pKbcxwnUJ%2B3RC%2BvUOiyqHU5Xtro8Xg0D4vnFo%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Dale Emery <de...@vmware.com>.

Here is the branch the way I left things: https://github.com/demery-pivotal/geode/tree/old/geode-junit5

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.
Dale,

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Re: Docker on Windows

    From: Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>
    Date: Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: Docker on Windows

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.

From: Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Docker on Windows

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>.

On 6/25/20, 10:08 AM, "Jacob Barrett" <ja...@vmware.com> wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Jinmei Liao <ji...@vmware.com> wrote:
    >
    > +1, what was the reason for it not being included the PR before?

    The Windows integration and acceptance tests take a very long time to run because we can’t dockerize and parallelize them. They have also be very flaky in the past.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Add windows jobs to PR checks

Posted by Mark Hanson <mh...@pivotal.io>.
This is going to hurt timewise, but +1.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
Another option:

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@vmware.com>.
In principal, +1 for adding them.

But if it is gating or not, is determined by how much extra time we now have to add to waiting for a PR build to complete.

Is there any way that we could improve the time testing time of these?

—Udo
If they take a very long time to run, how about adding them but not requiring them to pass?

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <br...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Jinmei Liao <ji...@vmware.com>.