Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2017/05/26 08:50:19 UTC

IVY-1485, resolve report and resolved versions

After some digging, I found out that the resolved revisions property file is very old (git is awesome, even better within sourcetree). It is so old that at that time the xml resolve report didn’t exist. And this property file seems to have been created just in order to make the deliver task work [1]. And a comment still state this too [2]. And the purpose of the lines from 248 to 326 are about to compute these versions and write them down, it can be extracted in a function without side effect.

So most probably this property file is redundant with the xml resolve report. But the thing is the resolve may not be produced, it is an option [3], defaulting to true [4].

Two options:
- continue to support the property file and correctly produce it to fix IVY-1485 [5].
- drop this property file, make the xml report always produced, and make the deliver read the report rather than the property file.

Makes sense ?

Nicolas

[1] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/commit/3081a1b16a2fcb13b7a13bf761d6a625598d0325 <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/commit/3081a1b16a2fcb13b7a13bf761d6a625598d0325>
[2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveEngine.java#L247 <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveEngine.java#L247>
[3] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveEngine.java#L338 <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveEngine.java#L338>
[4] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveOptions.java#L99 <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/src/java/org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/ResolveOptions.java#L99>
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1485 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1485>

Re: IVY-1485, resolve report and resolved versions

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
> Le 26 mai 2017 à 13:23, J Pai <ja...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Thank you very much Nicolas for digging more into this and getting hold of these details. What you explain, backed by the details, makes clear sense.
>
> I will attempt to go with this option that you suggest:
>
>> - drop this property file, make the xml report always produced, and make the deliver read the report rather than the property file.
>
> From looking at the code and documentation, the option that decides whether to create the XML report seems to be an internal only option (in Ivy 2.x world) i.e. not exposed or documented as something that the user can fiddle with. That’s a good thing since removing it or fiddling with its semantics, won’t affect the users.

ha, ok. good then.

> P.S: I don’t mean to step on your toes here if you were planning to work on this. If not, I’ll gladly try and come up with the suggested fix.

Please, be my guest.

Nicolas

Posted by J Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much Nicolas for digging more into this and getting hold of these details. What you explain, backed by the details, makes clear sense.

I will attempt to go with this option that you suggest:

> - drop this property file, make the xml report always produced, and make the deliver read the report rather than the property file.

From looking at the code and documentation, the option that decides whether to create the XML report seems to be an internal only option (in Ivy 2.x world) i.e. not exposed or documented as something that the user can fiddle with. That’s a good thing since removing it or fiddling with its semantics, won’t affect the users.