Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2011/05/31 00:25:27 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Hello,

I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;

1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

We are voting on the following release artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/

These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.0 tag in Subversion:

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0

Please follow our test procedure:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

Happy voting,

B.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 31 May 2011 10:25, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.
>
> Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;
>
> 1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
> 2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.0 tag in Subversion:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0
>
> Please follow our test procedure:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> Happy voting,
>
> B.

+1

- md5 ok
- sha1 ok

Mac OS X 10.6.7 + erlang R14B01
- make check ok
- futon ok (via ff 4.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.7)

Mac OS X 10.6.7 + erlang R14B03
- make check ok
- futon ok (via ff 4.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.7)

Windows 7 Enterprise + erlang R14B01
- make check n/a as usual (note to self to fix this)
- futon ok (via ff 4.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.7)

woo!!!

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by till <ti...@php.net>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.
>
> Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;
>
> 1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
> 2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.0 tag in Subversion:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0
>
> Please follow our test procedure:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> Happy voting,
>
> B.

Ubuntu (10.04):
All tests successful.
Files=41, Tests=735, 73 wallclock secs ( 0.44 usr  0.11 sys + 18.82
cusr  2.52 csys = 21.89 CPU)
Result: PASS

FreeBSD:
All tests successful.
Files=41, Tests=735, 85 wallclock secs (20.09 cusr +  3.78 csys = 23.87 CPU)

+1

@Robert: Thanks very, very much for pulling through on this release!
This is really, really appreciated!

Till

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.
>
> Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;
>
> 1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
> 2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.0 tag in Subversion:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0
>
> Please follow our test procedure:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> Happy voting,
>
> B.

signs ok, make check ok, js tests ok
tested on ubuntu 11.04, fbsd 8.2 (32 & 64), macosx 10.7
tested with erlang r13B04 & erlang r14b03.

+1

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On May 30, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Robert Newson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.
>
> Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;
>
> 1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
> 2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.0 tag in Subversion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0
>
> Please follow our test procedure:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> Happy voting,
>
> B.

I'm +1 on releasing these artifacts, but I would like to note that, contrary to the INSTALL.Unix instructions, CouchDB 1.1 will not work on Erlang/OTP R12B05.  We should update the docs in a future patch release.  Cheers,

Adam

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
Verified, +1

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+1

OS X 10.6
Erlang 14B01
All tests pass

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 31 May 2011, at 17:51, Sam Bisbee wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 31 May 2011, at 17:30, Sam Bisbee wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> The release looks great - awesome job * on all the work!
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 10.10 with erlang 1:13.b.3-dfsg-2ubuntu3:
>>>
>>>  - SHA passes
>>>  - `make check` passes all tests
>>>  - All Futon tests pass in Chromium 10 and Firefox 3.6.16, though
>>> Firefox still doesn't like losing focus when running tests (keeps
>>> hanging the browser with "unresponsive script" dialogs).
>>>  - Root URL signature is correct
>>>
>>> Unfortunately there is still no mention of the added dependency on
>>> jQuery UI and related work from COUCHDB-1131
>>> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1095523). We need
>>> to make dependencies like this clear as they roll out in releases.
>>
>> The required mentions are in the commit you reference:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/trunk/NOTICE?r1=1095523&r2=1095522&pathrev=1095523
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/trunk/LICENSE?r1=1095523&r2=1095522&pathrev=1095523
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>
> I am surprised that it does not need to be in CHANGES, but since that
> is the case and everything else looks so awesome, I am +1 now on the
> release.

I agree it'd be nice to have this in CHANGES, but AFAIK this is not required. I would not consider this a showstopper though, so thanks for changing your vote :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.

www.sbisbee.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.
Howdy,

[VOTE RESULTS] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

The final tally of the vote is:

15 +1 votes

This exceeds the required minimum three +1 votes and the proposal passes.

I shall prepare the release as soon as possible.

The individual votes are as follows:

+1 Randall Leeds:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTimwGa4L2nY_Ga6HpAMHAMfxpvr=Cg@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Paul Davis:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CA5D86857-7F27-47B4-9392-4E92B1EBE080@gmail.com%3E

+1 Till Klampaeckel:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTimrafkBByDvQ97vSmcpGUxDMkTtCQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Dave Cottlehuber:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTi=-tt6EjgF1aCag+8LBqWCVQpRxmw@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Dirkjan Ochtman:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTinFE5eXeXekzSVetFAOa2XWcwYQ0A@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Jan Lehnardt:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3C871C4834-0252-428A-B4C8-85C2CA1C09F9@apache.org%3E

+1 Benoit Chesneau:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTin2QFLg-Tb=TkNcULXnwkXqHqTTvg@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Robert Dionne:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3C6628DAED-C4E5-4E6D-8873-F9E492E31F43@dionne-associates.com%3E

+1 Filipe David Manana:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTik80kwNYsq+pP8mviMLyvyhM=qaAQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Sam Bisbee:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3CBANLkTikZS=TtCUam0HPuFKKrWBk8WQT8kg@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Sebastian Cohnen:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201105.mbox/%3C21358EB2-DEC6-4A27-AF3C-F9B31EAD6059@googlemail.com%3E

+1 Noah Slater:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3C6BF4674D-1161-44D7-925E-E252CB358A70@apache.org%3E

+1 Adam Kocoloski:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CB343261E-6A74-4A92-B098-A76C98BC6306@apache.org%3E

+0 Peter Nolan:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTinSa29WERzGEgWCqktDEPmbhkAuVA@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Robert Newson:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTimvdyUMSV+GN5cZx6Skoo=yfWkTuQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

+1 Chris Anderson:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTinCwVTJMdBwnXtEuesiWEQYuNLBsQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 3 Jun 2011, at 11:09, Robert Dionne wrote:

> Chris,
>
>  This is an excellent idea. Currently the entire suite of browser tests are also run from the command line, where we overload the CouchDB definition and use couchjs. We could break the suite out with a subset staying in share/www/script/test  to be used as you suggest, and the lion's share of them moving to test/javascript  to be run as part of "make check". They serve a great role in testing end-end but go a little too far in making use of the browser.
>
>   I'll take a closer look at this over the weekend.

Related:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201010.mbox/%3c4897047E-3C28-4FF4-900F-FF564BBC3D80@apache.org%3e

I still intend to commit this once 1.1.0 is out :)

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 13:29, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What version of FF? 3.5 or newer?

4.0.1

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 2 Jun 2011, at 14:38, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> I've seen this in the past occasionally, where the test suite does
> a _restart and then waits forever for CouchDB to come back. The
> Erlang console will show the regular startup procedure output, but
> then it just waits there for requests. I have verified that it
> actually *does* accept requests when it is in this state. Maybe
> it is the "wait for restart" routine that has a bug or triggers
> one inside Firefox.

Oh yes, restarting Firefox and running new tests works.

CouchDB is sat there, happily waiting to requests.

The problem is with the test code.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 2 Jun 2011, at 15:13, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2 Jun 2011, at 09:38, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
>>
>>> @nslater when "it hangs" is there anything of note happening in the
>>> erlang logs/shell ? Throw us a bone!
>>
>> Nope, nothing.
>>

> If Chrome passed fine I'm guessing the error is in the browser.

I've seen this in the past occasionally, where the test suite does
a _restart and then waits forever for CouchDB to come back. The
Erlang console will show the regular startup procedure output, but
then it just waits there for requests. I have verified that it
actually *does* accept requests when it is in this state. Maybe
it is the "wait for restart" routine that has a bug or triggers
one inside Firefox.

From the log:

[info] [<0.2219.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'POST' /_restart 200 # _restart
[info] [<0.2202.0>] Stopping all ongoing replications because the replicator database was deleted or changed
Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 (LogLevel=info) is starting.      # startup logs
Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax.             # cnt'd
[info] [<0.2274.0>] Apache CouchDB has started on http://127.0.0.1:5984/ # hangs here
[info] [<0.2790.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET' / 200          # verified that CouchDB accepts requests

FWIW, this is the delayed_commits test.

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
Top posting to Bob's top posting, same for me. FF 4.0.1 has been fine
on R14B01 / 03 also, when I remember to clear cache. Chrome also seems
to be fine & I've had no issues with safari current mac version either
but not tested either systematically.

@nslater when "it hangs" is there anything of note happening in the
erlang logs/shell ? Throw us a bone!

A+
Dave
<insert smiley of choice here>

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
mostly for fun, I did more testing than our standard procedure to even
begin each round of this releasel

+1

Mac OS X 10.6.7, erlang R14B03, firefox 4.0.1

digests and sigs verified.

make check and Futon all clear (have to clear cache, though).

As part of preparing for round 3 I ran all the above tests (and more)
on R14B01 and R14B02 as well.

B.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 1 Jun 2011, at 23:43, Peter Nolan wrote:

> /me votes 'present'.

FYI, this vote will not be counted, if that is what you intended.

You need to provide an Apache style vote.

Preferably with a reason!

:)

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Peter Nolan <pe...@gmail.com>.
/me votes 'present'.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Just tangentially FYI:

From the collected test suite reports, I compiled this list of reports by success or failure per browser and version:

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 1 Jun 2011, at 21:47, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Also, our documented test browser is FF3.5. I wonder if the update to
>>> 4 is also most of the issue.
>>
>> Could be. :)
>>
>> DOWN WITH ALL NON-DETERMINISTIC BROWSER TESTS, I SAY!
>>
>> (I, for one, welcome our new etap overlords.)
>>

> I think we should rewrite all the tests in Scala because of its
> excellent HTTP support.

<insertwittyreply>

(I've got nothing)

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 1 Jun 2011, at 19:21, Paul Davis wrote:

> This usually indicates that something broked on the server. I've only
> seen it in corner cases where I segfault in a NIF or similar. Did you
> check if couch was still running?

Couch was running, and the tests afterwards all passed.

>> auth_cache fails
>>
>> assertion misses_after == misses_before +1 failed
>>
>> assertion hits_after == hits_before failed
>>

> This is related to browser cache. Command-Shift-R and the cache sweep
> button usually fixes it.

Should the tests work around this?

>> cookie_auth fails
>>
>> "error": "file_exists"
>>

> Didn't we just fix this?

Evidently not. ;)

>> Gonna give this -1 until we fix the unit tests.
>>
>> I wonder whether anyone else runs the unit tests at all, sometimes! ;)
>
> I ran them on Chrome and they passed just fine. Perhaps its a FF issue
> that no-one has noticed yet. Also, you don't have Firebug turned on do
> you? That can screw with things.

I don't even have it installed!

Just ran the tests in Chrome and they all pass.

What gives?

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Reinstalled Erlang and the weird SSL problems went away.
>
> Unit tests fail for me.
>
> -
>
> replicator_db
> error
> 3001ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> rev_stemming
> error
> 7ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> rewrite
> error
> 10ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> security_validation
> error
> 6ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> show_documents
> error
> 11ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> stats
> error
> 7ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> update_documents
> error
> 5ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}
>
> users_db
> error
> 4ms
> Run with debugger
>        • Exception raised: {}

This usually indicates that something broked on the server. I've only
seen it in corner cases where I segfault in a NIF or similar. Did you
check if couch was still running?

> auth_cache fails
>
> assertion misses_after == misses_before +1 failed
>
> assertion hits_after == hits_before failed

This is related to browser cache. Command-Shift-R and the cache sweep
button usually fixes it.

> cookie_auth fails
>
> "error": "file_exists"

Didn't we just fix this?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 1 Jun 2011, at 19:19, Robert Dionne wrote:

>  Does "make check" run with all the etaps passing?
>
>> Everything else looks okay though.

Yep. :)

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Noah,

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
OS X 10.6.7, Erlang R14B03

+1

* signatures: ok
* make check: ok
* browser test suite: Firefox 4.0.1 & Safari 5.0.5: ok

Great work!

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 15:23, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> wrote:
> What Jan said!
> This release has been a real saga and you are awesome!!

+1.

(I've tried the release and make check passes for me. I don't think
any of the browsers I run are supported for the Futon tests, so I'm
skipping those -- but most look good, anyway.)

Cheesr,

Dirkjan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

On 31 May 2011, at 00:25, Robert Newson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.
>
> Two further issues have been resolved since round 2;
>
> 1) Compatibility with erlang R14B03.
> 2) Release tarball now works on Windows (with Cygwin).
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/

+1

Tested on Mac OS X 10.6.7, R14B02 and R14B03. Signatures, make check and the test suite in Firefox 3.6 and 4.0 all check out.
Tested on Ubuntu 10.04, R13B03. make check and the test suite in Firefox 3.6 all check out.

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release, round 3.

Posted by "Paul J. Davis" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 here. Motions pass on latest OS X.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
* Signature OK