Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com> on 2018/06/06 22:12:14 UTC

[Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

The subject of this vote is whether / how to use probot stale.

https://github.com/probot/stale

Please fill out the survey below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NGDCX8R

If you feel this completely misses the mark of what should be done, please discuss on this thread. Also this is my first survey monkey poll, so if there are any issues please let me know. I'll follow up in two weeks to discuss the results.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Posted by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com>.
Thanks for the feedback Dave / Robert.

So here is revised proposal that does not automatically close a PR, but does include some automation to alleviate some of the leg work:

 1. Auto reply with information about how to help the contributor to be successful and about the PR process.

 2. Use probot stale to determine if a PR has been inactive for 3 months (or whatever is the most popular duration polled in the survey). If so label the PR as inactive. The PR will remain open, it will just have a friendly little label added to it.

 3. Committers must look at inactive PRs and manually send a mail directly to the contributor and dev list to do follow up.

 4. If the contributor responds within a month, then great we got back to step 2.

 5. If the contributor fails to respond within a month and the committer does not see a path forward, the PR is closed.

 6. If the contributor fails to respond but the committer sees value in keeping the PR open the committer can label the PR as pending, and the PR will remain alive indefinitely.

I want to include some level of automation for a couple of reasons:

 1. Periodically checking PRs if 3 months is up is very boring and very time consuming. If it is not automated it won't be done and the process will fall apart.
 2. It keeps people honest. Without some guide rails people tend to forget to handle things, and process / culture decays.

Also there seems to be a misconception about closing PRs. Closing a PR in no way deletes or permanently removes it. A closed PR will remain on Github forever, is linked to the jira ticket so is discoverable, and can be reopened anytime by the contributor or by any committer indefinitely.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Tim

________________________________

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Posted by Aman Sinha <am...@apache.org>.

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

The subject of this vote is whether / how to use probot stale.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_probot_stale&d=DwIFAw&c=cskdkSMqhcnjZxdQVpwTXg&r=4eQVr8zB8ZBff-yxTimdOQ&m=MWi8kb0OAU2j5LMIUIewh8w-DPsI0o1XrKdc4X1s9d8&s=b-1khYEQPqc40pOYraMy-Dw3iGswgnIUXAkHE8YjGEw&e=

Please fill out the survey below.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.surveymonkey.com_r_NGDCX8R&d=DwIFAw&c=cskdkSMqhcnjZxdQVpwTXg&r=4eQVr8zB8ZBff-yxTimdOQ&m=MWi8kb0OAU2j5LMIUIewh8w-DPsI0o1XrKdc4X1s9d8&s=MNgiBpVkL2b8h4VWBYtgclKclzT2p1skDOOu-GeoWhk&e=

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs