Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> on 2002/07/12 05:43:41 UTC

Wrapper capable release versions.

Hi all,
    I went ot install the James Email server today.  It is built on top
of Phoenix and seems to work great.
The problem is that I am running on Windows and with their default
install, the Wrapper is not included.
This means that James can not be installed a service.

    I was trying to think of how we could make it easier for other
projects to build Phoenix applications
which included the Wrapper by default.   The Wrapper is not 100% Java,
so it would require platform
specific distributions.

    What are your thoughts about modifying the build to produce platform
specific distributions,
enabling users to get their hands on a Wrapper enabled full release of
Phoenix without having to
do any builds themselves.

    I was thinking of creating the following distribution files, in
addition to the current src files.:
phoenix-4.0a4-bin.zip    (100% version)
phoenix-4.0a4-bin.tar.gz    (100% version)
phoenix-4.0a4-win32-bin.zip    (Wrapper enabled)
phoenix-4.0a4-linux-bin.tar.gz    (Wrapper enabled)
phoenix-4.0a4-solaris-bin.tar.gz    (Wrapper enabled)

    The wrapper enabled versions would have to be built from the
appropriate platforms.

    I would also like to change the way the Wrapper is installed in the
Phoenix distribution by
moving its files into the standard location as well as adding the
appropriate startup scripts.
The wrapper enabled releases would replace the run.bat/sh scripts with
Wrapper enabled
scripts.

Current:
dist/bin/Wrapper.exe (Win32)
dist/bin/Wrapper.dll (Win32)
dist/bin/wrapper (Linux/Solaris)
dist/bin/libwrapper.so (Linux/Solaris)
dist/bin/wrapper.jar

New:
dist/bin/Wrapper.exe (Win32)
dist/bin/Phoenix.bat (Win32)
dist/bin/InstallPhoenix-NT.bat (Win32)
dist/bin/UninstallPhoenix-NT.bat (Win32)
dist/bin/wrapper (Linux/Solaris)
dist/bin/phoenix.sh (Linux/Solaris)
dist/lib/Wrapper.dll (Win32)
dist/lib/libwrapper.so (Linux/Solaris)
dist/lib/wrapper.jar

    Adding the scripts would make it much easier for users to get up and
runing.

    Ideally, other projects, like James, could then use the appropriate
distributions to build
their own Wrapper enabled distributions.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Wrapper capable release versions.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 03:23 PM 7/13/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>This is a feature request up on the Wrapper site already. On Windows at
>least you would still need an
>application to handle the Wrapper as a service.  So you would end up with
>3 tiers  The extra JVM
>running in memory would also eat up a lot more resources than the native
>Wrapper does.  Wouldn't it
>make more sense to port the Wrapper to the additional platforms?

What I mean is that in the absence of a native layer you could use a java
layer. It would be more heavyweight and less optimal but a good fall back.
So when you have a native layer you would use that else you could use java
layer. The main reason is that would allow all features (ie clean restart
and crash monitoring) but still be able to run on all platforms.

>By the way, a few months back, there was talk about bringing the Wrapper
>into Apache as either
>a top level project or as a subproject of commons.  It seemed to get lost
>with all the JSR talk.  We
>are still in favor of bringing it over.  It would be good to have more
>people working on it. :-)

It has been on my todo for ages so hopefully I will get to it sometime soon ;)

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith

Re: Wrapper capable release versions.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Peter Donald wrote:

> At 12:43 PM 7/12/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>
>>   I was trying to think of how we could make it easier for other
>> projects to build Phoenix applications
>> which included the Wrapper by default.   The Wrapper is not 100%
>> Java, so it would require platform
>> specific distributions.
>

> One thing I would like to do in the future is to create a java
> launcher/monitor in wrapper. ie Rather than a native process launching
> and monitoring phoenix we could have a java app launching and
> monitoring another java app. By doing this we could make wrapper a
> required part of phoenix and thus everyone gets the features it provides.
>
> At least thats in the future ;)

This is a feature request up on the Wrapper site already. On Windows at
least you would still need an
application to handle the Wrapper as a service.  So you would end up
with 3 tiers  The extra JVM
running in memory would also eat up a lot more resources than the native
Wrapper does.  Wouldn't it
make more sense to port the Wrapper to the additional platforms?

By the way, a few months back, there was talk about bringing the Wrapper
into Apache as either
a top level project or as a subproject of commons.  It seemed to get
lost with all the JSR talk.  We
are still in favor of bringing it over.  It would be good to have more
people working on it. :-)

>>    What are your thoughts about modifying the build to produce
>> platform specific distributions,
>> enabling users to get their hands on a Wrapper enabled full release
>> of Phoenix without having to
>> do any builds themselves.
>
> That would be great.

Ok, I will do this as soon as the locations of all the jars are worked
out in that other thread:
"Sevak and the tools.jar file"

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 12:43 PM 7/12/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>   I was trying to think of how we could make it easier for other projects
> to build Phoenix applications
>which included the Wrapper by default.   The Wrapper is not 100% Java, so
>it would require platform
>specific distributions.

One thing I would like to do in the future is to create a java
launcher/monitor in wrapper. ie Rather than a native process launching and
monitoring phoenix we could have a java app launching and monitoring
another java app. By doing this we could make wrapper a required part of
phoenix and thus everyone gets the features it provides.

At least thats in the future ;)

>    What are your thoughts about modifying the build to produce platform
> specific distributions,
>enabling users to get their hands on a Wrapper enabled full release of
>Phoenix without having to
>do any builds themselves.

That would be great.

Cheers,