Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/28 21:56:07 UTC

Please Verify My Build Environment for Lenya 1.2.5

Greetings,

I'd like to explore lenya 1.2.5. Never used it before, but would like to give it a try. I intend to build it from scratch on a linux box using Tomcat as my servlet engine.

It seems like the recommended environment is:

Tomcat 5.5
J2SDK 1.4.2
Cocoon 2.1.10

Is this correct, or has lenya been able to work on later versions of the selected technology?

Thanks.

---------------------------------

Re: Please Verify My Build Environment for Lenya 1.2.5

Posted by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks. Will do.

Should I reply using this same thread or create a new one?

Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> wrote: Bruce Perryman wrote:
> OK. I'll give 2.0 a try. Thanks! The platform that I'll be using will be
> both XP and Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> Thanks again!

you're welcome!

if you compile under XP, please let us know how it worked and which java
sdk you are using. we recently added a workaround for a jdk oddity under
windows, and some more data would be appreciated.

thanks for considering lenya, hope you'll enjoy!

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

---------------------------------

Re: Please Verify My Build Environment for Lenya 1.2.5

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com>.
OK. I'll give 2.0 a try. Thanks! The platform that I'll be using will be both XP and Ubuntu 6.06.

Thanks again!

Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> wrote: Bruce Perryman wrote:
> 2.0. Is it stable?

mostly yes. there will be  minor changes if you keep tracking svn, but
mostly they should not have any impact on your deployment and won't
require changes to your publication.

> Are there tons of bugs?

no. a pound or two, maybe ;) but no showstoppers that can't be worked
around.

> Will it build without major
> glitches?

it will build cleanly from svn. check out
http://lenya.apache.org/docs/2_0_x/installation/index.html.
which platform are you running on?
if you run into problems, let the list know, we will help.

> How much of a performance degradation are we talking? How long
> before 2.0 becomes stable?
> Mine is a fairly simple proposal, a few static pages with some file
> transfers. Looking to deploy within a few days or so.

definitely go with 2.0! i wouldn't yet bet on it for large deployments
with many concurrent edits and more than, say, a hundred pages - we need
to do some performance tuning for that. but for your needs, 2.0 should
be much better suited.
we're talking about a release candidate in the next weeks. it has been
delayed a bit, since our recent hackathon brought up a few good ideas
that needed to be done first...

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

---------------------------------

Re: Please Verify My Build Environment for Lenya 1.2.5

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com>.
2.0. Is it stable? Are there tons of bugs? Will it build without major glitches? How much of a performance degradation are we talking? How long before 2.0 becomes stable?

Mine is a fairly simple proposal, a few static pages with some file transfers. Looking to deploy within a few days or so.

Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> wrote: Bruce Perryman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to explore lenya 1.2.5. Never used it before, but would like to
> give it a try. I intend to build it from scratch on a linux box using
> Tomcat as my servlet engine.
>
> It seems like the recommended environment is:
>
> Tomcat 5.5
> J2SDK 1.4.2
> Cocoon 2.1.10
>
> Is this correct, or has lenya been able to work on later versions of the
> selected technology?

since you are starting afresh, you should really go and check out lenya
2.0. it will work with jdk up to 1.6.
it has a large number of functionality and design improvements over 1.2
and is much easier to learn and customize.
the only downside (as of yet) is performance - what kind of deployment
do you have in mind?

regards,

jörn
--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: Please Verify My Build Environment for Lenya 1.2.5

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.