Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Gregory M. Messner" <gm...@titan.com> on 2002/09/07 02:05:55 UTC

[Digester] Performance Improvements

First off, I think the digester package is great, however it is a bit
slow, poking around I noticed that each time a method was invoked by
CallMethodRule, SetNextRule, SetRootRule, and  SetTopRule the
java.lang.reflect.Method was looked up each time. I made a small change
in each of these classes that uses MethodUtils.getAccessibleMethod() or
MethodUtils.getMatchingAccessibleMethod() (depending on the
useExactMatch flag) to get the java.lang.reflect.Method instance, saves
it and then directly calls invoke() on the Method instance.  On a
SunBlade 100 this small change resulted in a 10X speed improvement.

I have created patch files for the changes but wasn't sure how to
deliver them, should they all be put in the body of a single email, each
one sent in its own email, or should they be attached to an email?  As
soon as someone lets me know the correct way to submit the patches I'll
send them in.

Greg