Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/03/17 21:09:07 UTC

Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Hello, in the instructions, I need to link "concurrent_reads" to number of
drives. Is this related to number of physical drives that I have in my
RAID0, or something else?

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Thanks Peter, I can see it better now.

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by mcasandra <mo...@gmail.com>.
Also when it comes to RAID controller there are other options like write
policy, read policy, cache io/direct io. Is there any preference on which
policies should be chosen?

In our case:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/1.9/en/stormgmt/cntrls.html

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Where and how do I choose it?

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> The reason for this is that you want to be able to saturate your
> storage subsystem, and that means keeping all spindles working at all
> times and efficiently. This is accomplished by ensuring you are able
> to sustain a sufficient queue depth (number of outstanding commands)
> on each device. This in turn, in the case of a RAID0, means
> multiplying the target maximum queue depth with the number of drives.

(But this is all predicated on the operating system actually letting
the I/O requests pass through to the device, which is why I replied
about choosing the deadline or noop scheduler instead of cfq.)

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> Thanks to all for replying, but frankly I didn't get the answer I wanted.
> Does the "number of disks" apply to number of spindles in RAID0? Or
> something else like a separate disk for commitlog and for data?

The number of actual disks (spindles) in the device on which your
sstables are on (not the commit log).

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> The comment in the example config file next to that setting explains it more
> fully, but something like 16 * number of drives is a reasonable setting for
> readers. Writers should be a multiple of the number of cores.

In addition, if you're running on Linux in a situation where you're
trying to saturate I/O capacity of an underlying device that is an SSD
or a multi-device RAID, I *strongly* suggest switching Linux to the
deadline or noop scheduler. The CFQ scheduler is very poor
out-of-the-box for saturating your I/O subsystem with random reads,
when using SSD:s or RAID controllers with multiple disks.

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: Does "concurrent_reads" relate to number of drives in RAID0?

Posted by Stu Hood <st...@gmail.com>.