Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> on 2005/02/04 22:18:43 UTC

the simplest example

What is the absolute minimal sort of code/configuration one needs for a
default style hivemind use? The calculator example says it uses a
non-standard setup so it won't interfere with tests...

Re: the simplest example

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

For the simplest example, I copied the examples directory over to a temp
directory and renamed my examples directory (leaving the examples
directory let everything work off the examples descriptor file). Then I
made the following changes:

CalculatorMain:
~  Example file has this line:
~    Registry registry = ExampleUtils.buildRegistry("examples.xml");

~  New file:
~    Registry registry = RegistryBuilder.constructDefaultRegistry();

This worked identically after copying
examples/src/descriptor/examples.xml to examples/target/classes/META-INF
and renaming to hivemodule.xml

Two things ExampleUtils.buildRegistry(String) shows:
~  Module descriptor not named "hivemodule.xml"
~  Module descriptor not in META-INF directory on classpath.

If this isn't a complete answer, let me know. I'm going to put this back
on the Wiki if it is (as to a beginner "how-to" on different descriptor
files)

Brian

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| Actually, that's the part I want to know about. What's the standard file
| layout? Does the location of the descriptor need to be specified if the
| layout is standard?
|

| On Feb 4, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
|
| I may be mistaken, but I believe the "non-standard setup" refers to the
| layout of files, not the configuration/implementation. This impacts
| finding the descriptor (utilizing the PROJECT_ROOT system property) and
| building the registry. Aside from that, the configuration/code looks
| 'default'.
|
| Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | What is the absolute minimal sort of code/configuration one needs for a
| | default style hivemind use? The calculator example says it uses a
| | non-standard setup so it won't interfere with tests...
| |

Re: the simplest example

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
How do I tell hivemind to find hivemind.Startup? The HiveMindFilter is
working, but I'm missing something here. I didn't see the answer in
your link.

Jamie

Re: the simplest example

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

No worries. That's just a change that was made for 1.1. Pre-1.1, the
hivemodule.xml had to either be in a jar's META-INF directory, or
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF. 1.1 changes that WEB-INF/classes/META-INF
requirement to allow it to just be in WEB-INF.

James Carman wrote:
| I'm sorry.  You said you were using the HiveMindFilter.  Then, from the
| docs, it's supposed to be loading it from WEB-INF/hivemodule.xml if it
| exists (as you said earlier, sorry to add absolutely no value :-)

| |
| | Jamie
| | ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"
| |
| | Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | | Thanks, Brian.
| | |
| | | I haven't tried the examples in here yet. Maybe I'll do that.
| | |
| | | You put hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF, not META-INF?
| | |
| | |
| | | ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"
| | |
| | | ~  I took the 'examples' classes/descriptor and put them in a test
| | | web-app (more web-app than test as this was bugging me), added the
| | | following lines to my web.xml, and was able to load
| | | "examples.Calculator" and have it 'calculate' properly:
| | |
| | | <filter>
| | | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | | ~
| | <filter-class>org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter</filter-class>
| | | </filter>
| | |
| | | <servlet>
| | | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | | ~ <servlet-class>test.bkw.tapestry.SiteServlet</servlet-class>
| | | ~ <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
| | | </servlet>
| | |
| | | <filter-mapping>
| | | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | | </filter-mapping>
| | |
| | | The example classes were left extracted and placed in WEB-INF/classes,
| | | the examples descriptor was renamed hivemodule.xml and placed in
| | | WEB-INF, and the hivemind libraries (1.1 alpha - both hivemind and
| | | hivemind-lib) placed in WEB-INF/lib. There was no coding past this
| | | required except to retrieve the Calculator.
| | |
| | | HTH
| | |
| | | Brian
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | (vs.
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

RE: the simplest example

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| I'm using 1.0. I want to put this into a production environment, so I
| figured I'd lay off of 1.1 till it's more stable.
|
| Jamie
| ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"

| |
| | I haven't tried the examples in here yet. Maybe I'll do that.
| |
| | You put hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF, not META-INF?
| |
| |
| | ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"
| |
| | ~  I took the 'examples' classes/descriptor and put them in a test
| | web-app (more web-app than test as this was bugging me), added the
| | following lines to my web.xml, and was able to load
| | "examples.Calculator" and have it 'calculate' properly:
| |
| | <filter>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~
| <filter-class>org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter</filter-class>
| | </filter>
| |
| | <servlet>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | ~ <servlet-class>test.bkw.tapestry.SiteServlet</servlet-class>
| | ~ <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
| | </servlet>
| |
| | <filter-mapping>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | </filter-mapping>
| |
| | The example classes were left extracted and placed in WEB-INF/classes,
| | the examples descriptor was renamed hivemodule.xml and placed in
| | WEB-INF, and the hivemind libraries (1.1 alpha - both hivemind and
| | hivemind-lib) placed in WEB-INF/lib. There was no coding past this
| | required except to retrieve the Calculator.
| |
| | HTH
| |
| | Brian
| |
| | Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | | Yes, they are in WEB-INF/lib of the web app. I just confirmed this.
| | |
| | | The registry construction is called by the HiveMindFilter.
| | |
| | | Jamie
| | |
| | |
| | | On Feb 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
| | |
| | | <curiosity>
| | | Are the hivemind jars you're using on the classpath of the web-app
| (vs.
| | | container) and do they have META-INF/hivemodule.xml files?
| | | Also, how are you constructing the registry? with
| | | "Registry.constructDefaultRegistry()"?
| | | </curiosity>
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

RE: the simplest example

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| I'm using 1.0. I want to put this into a production environment, so I
| figured I'd lay off of 1.1 till it's more stable.
|
| Jamie
| ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"

| |
| | I haven't tried the examples in here yet. Maybe I'll do that.
| |
| | You put hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF, not META-INF?
| |
| |
| | ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"
| |
| | ~  I took the 'examples' classes/descriptor and put them in a test
| | web-app (more web-app than test as this was bugging me), added the
| | following lines to my web.xml, and was able to load
| | "examples.Calculator" and have it 'calculate' properly:
| |
| | <filter>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~
| <filter-class>org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter</filter-class>
| | </filter>
| |
| | <servlet>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | ~ <servlet-class>test.bkw.tapestry.SiteServlet</servlet-class>
| | ~ <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
| | </servlet>
| |
| | <filter-mapping>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | </filter-mapping>
| |
| | The example classes were left extracted and placed in WEB-INF/classes,
| | the examples descriptor was renamed hivemodule.xml and placed in
| | WEB-INF, and the hivemind libraries (1.1 alpha - both hivemind and
| | hivemind-lib) placed in WEB-INF/lib. There was no coding past this
| | required except to retrieve the Calculator.
| |
| | HTH
| |
| | Brian
| |
| | Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | | Yes, they are in WEB-INF/lib of the web app. I just confirmed this.
| | |
| | | The registry construction is called by the HiveMindFilter.
| | |
| | | Jamie
| | |
| | |
| | | On Feb 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
| | |
| | | <curiosity>
| | | Are the hivemind jars you're using on the classpath of the web-app
| (vs.
| | | container) and do they have META-INF/hivemodule.xml files?
| | | Also, how are you constructing the registry? with
| | | "Registry.constructDefaultRegistry()"?
| | | </curiosity>
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

Re: the simplest example

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| I'm using 1.0. I want to put this into a production environment, so I
| figured I'd lay off of 1.1 till it's more stable.
|
| Jamie
| ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"

| |
| | I haven't tried the examples in here yet. Maybe I'll do that.
| |
| | You put hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF, not META-INF?
| |
| |
| | ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"
| |
| | ~  I took the 'examples' classes/descriptor and put them in a test
| | web-app (more web-app than test as this was bugging me), added the
| | following lines to my web.xml, and was able to load
| | "examples.Calculator" and have it 'calculate' properly:
| |
| | <filter>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~
| <filter-class>org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter</filter-class>
| | </filter>
| |
| | <servlet>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | ~ <servlet-class>test.bkw.tapestry.SiteServlet</servlet-class>
| | ~ <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
| | </servlet>
| |
| | <filter-mapping>
| | ~ <filter-name>hivemind</filter-name>
| | ~ <servlet-name>site</servlet-name>
| | </filter-mapping>
| |
| | The example classes were left extracted and placed in WEB-INF/classes,
| | the examples descriptor was renamed hivemodule.xml and placed in
| | WEB-INF, and the hivemind libraries (1.1 alpha - both hivemind and
| | hivemind-lib) placed in WEB-INF/lib. There was no coding past this
| | required except to retrieve the Calculator.
| |
| | HTH
| |
| | Brian
| |
| | Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | | Yes, they are in WEB-INF/lib of the web app. I just confirmed this.
| | |
| | | The registry construction is called by the HiveMindFilter.
| | |
| | | Jamie
| | |
| | |
| | | On Feb 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
| | |
| | | <curiosity>
| | | Are the hivemind jars you're using on the classpath of the web-app
| (vs.
| | | container) and do they have META-INF/hivemodule.xml files?
| | | Also, how are you constructing the registry? with
| | | "Registry.constructDefaultRegistry()"?
| | | </curiosity>
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

Re: the simplest example

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Re: the simplest example

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
What I find most strange about the error in JRun, is that it is finding
classes in the hivemind jar, but then can't find the hivemind.Startup.

Re: the simplest example

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| Thanks, Brian.
|
| I haven't tried the examples in here yet. Maybe I'll do that.
|
| You put hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF, not META-INF?
|

| ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Wallace"

| |
| |
| | On Feb 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
| |
| | <curiosity>
| | Are the hivemind jars you're using on the classpath of the web-app (vs.
| | container) and do they have META-INF/hivemodule.xml files?
| | Also, how are you constructing the registry? with
| | "Registry.constructDefaultRegistry()"?
| | </curiosity>
| |
| | Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | | I realized WEB-INF was not the default, so I put hivemodule.xml in
| | | META-INF/ but got the same result.
| | |
| | | Rather frustrated.
| | |
| | | Jamie
| | |
| | |

Re: the simplest example

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Thanks, Brian.

Re: the simplest example

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| Yes, they are in WEB-INF/lib of the web app. I just confirmed this.
|
| The registry construction is called by the HiveMindFilter.
|
| Jamie
|

| On Feb 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
|
| <curiosity>
| Are the hivemind jars you're using on the classpath of the web-app (vs.
| container) and do they have META-INF/hivemodule.xml files?
| Also, how are you constructing the registry? with
| "Registry.constructDefaultRegistry()"?
| </curiosity>
|
| Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
| | I realized WEB-INF was not the default, so I put hivemodule.xml in
| | META-INF/ but got the same result.
| |
| | Rather frustrated.
| |
| | Jamie
| |
| |

RE: the simplest example

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Jamie,

Why don't you send us a simple war file that exhibits this behavior?  That
would be the easiest way for us (or at least me) to help you out.

James

Re: the simplest example

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Re: the simplest example