Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rajesh Cherukuri <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/10 12:00:57 UTC

Tomcat minor upgrade

hi

can some one help me how to do the tomcat minor upgrade from 7.0.39 to
7.0.59

Re: Tomcat minor upgrade

Posted by Rajesh Cherukuri <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Thomas

 so it is just that we need to update the newer version of file's  that
shows in the link you provided   correct ? or  do we need any more changes
to libraries

AW: Tomcat minor upgrade

Re: Tomcat minor upgrade

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Rajesh,

On 3/10/15 7:00 AM, Rajesh Cherukuri wrote:
> can some one help me how to do the tomcat minor upgrade from 7.0.39
> to 7.0.59

Are you using separate CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE directories?

1. If NO:

  a. Go read RUNNING.txt in Tomcat's base directory (that's
     CATALINA_HOME), especially the "Advanced Configuration -
     Multiple Tomcat Instances" section.

  b. Split your Tomcat deployment into CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE.

  c. Go to step #2 below

2. If YES:

  a. Un-tar, un-zip, or otherwise install the new Tomcat to a new folder
     (e.g. apache-tomcat-x.y.z/).

  b. Change your CATALINA_HOME from apache-tomcat-x.y.(z-1) to
     apache-tomcat-x.y.z.

  c. Restart Tomcat.

3. If the upgrade fails, or your web application doesn't work for some
   reason:

   a. Change CATALINA_HOME back to apache-tomcat-x.y.(z-1).

   b. Restart Tomcat.

It may seem silly to use the so-called "Advanced" configuration for a
simple web application, but as you can see, it makes upgrades (or
downgrades) super-simple.

(If you are changing between major versions of Tomcat, you need a
different server.xml file in your CATALINA_BASE/conf directory, since
things often change between versions.)

- -chris

AW: Tomcat minor upgrade

Posted by Thomas Rohde <tr...@ordix.de>.

 so it is just that we need to update the newer version of file's  that
shows in the link you provided   correct ? or  do we need any more changes
to libraries

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Thomas Rohde <tr...@ordix.de> wrote:

No you have to update the complete tomcat. On the website you can see changes in configuration files between minor versions of tomcat. Please ensure that  any changes in the configuration files such as new attributes and changes to defaults are applied as part of the upgrade.

Regards,
Thomas