Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Ole Bulbuk <Ol...@ebp.de> on 2002/09/10 14:51:44 UTC

Log4J all over Phoenix

Hi,

since using multiple logging packages is real pain (information from
multiple logging files in multiple formats is (almost) impossible to
integrate), I have to use Log4J for my project.

I know that the LogEnabled interface enables me to use Log4J. But for the
start up phase of Phoenix there will still logkit be used. I would really
like to know if it would be possible to give run.sh (or now phoenix.sh) a
parameter (e.g. -Dlogging=log4j) so that Log4J would be used right from the
start.

Good luck with the release,

Ole

P.S.: If there is no easy solution now it would be nice to have one
      in the release.
--
Ole Bulbuk              Tel.:   0331/74759/60
Ernst Basler + Partner  Fax:    0331/74759/90

Re: Log4J all over Phoenix

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:51, Ole Bulbuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since using multiple logging packages is real pain (information from
> multiple logging files in multiple formats is (almost) impossible to
> integrate), I have to use Log4J for my project.
>
> I know that the LogEnabled interface enables me to use Log4J. But for the
> start up phase of Phoenix there will still logkit be used. I would really
> like to know if it would be possible to give run.sh (or now phoenix.sh) a
> parameter (e.g. -Dlogging=log4j) so that Log4J would be used right from the
> start.
>
> Good luck with the release,

You can allow hosted applications to use Log4j Loggers by implementing the
interface org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.LogManager and then changing
the setting in the conf/kernel.xml file. Currently there is no mechanism for
redirecting the kernels logging via Log4j but I suppose you could do it by
modifying or reimplementing CLIMain.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Log4J all over Phoenix

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Ole,

With a smalll amount of effort you could replace (or extend) the log
manager mentioned in kernel.conf.

- Paul