Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/05/27 21:30:15 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

on 5/26/01 10:18 AM, "costin@apache.org" <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> +    // Called from MessageBytes.setTime
> +    /**
> +     */
> +    public static String format1123( Date d ) {
> +    return rfc1123Format.format( d );
> +    }
> +
> +
> +    // Called from ServerCookie
> +    /**
> +     */
> +    public static void formatOldCookie( Date d, StringBuffer sb,
> +                      FieldPosition fp )
> +    {
> +    oldCookieFormat.format( d, sb, fp );
> +    }
> +
> +    // Called from ServerCookie
> +    public static String formatOldCookie( Date d )
> +    {
> +    return oldCookieFormat.format( d );
>      }

I thought we weren't using tab's in the files anymore...

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
cmanolache@yahoo.com at cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Sun, 27 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
>> on 5/26/01 10:18 AM, "costin@apache.org" <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> +    {
>>> +    return oldCookieFormat.format( d );
>>>      }
>>
>> I thought we weren't using tab's in the files anymore...
>
> We are using tabs AFAIK ( or at least I am using tabs and I don't
> remember any vote or official rule that says this is not allowed ).

4 spaces indentation - no tabs (it's like this since Jserv 0.7, I believe)

    Pier

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> cmanolache@yahoo.com at cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > It has all to do with "standards". Tabs have been used for indentation
for
> > at least the last 15 years ( that's when I started playing with
computers-
> > and the tab was there ).
>
> But the point is that we're using SPACES... Since _EVER_... Discussion
> closed.

I really doubt you guys have been using spaces everywhere since JServ. Look
at Craig's source for JServ 2 (err, I mean, Catalina) : there are tabs
everywhere ;)

Frankly, I don't think we should make a big deal of the whole issue.

Remy

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/27/01 6:45 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It has all to do with "standards". Tabs have been used for indentation for
> at least the last 15 years ( that's when I started playing with computers-
> and the tab was there ).

Great! I have you beat. I started creating software when I was 9 and now I'm
28. So there.

> A program to display a simple fixed-font text with tabs is quite trivial
> - and it's not "jumping through hoops".

A program that can deal with using spaces instead of tabs in the source
files is quite trivial.

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Sun, 27 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 5/27/01 5:54 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > It's a matter of principle here - the fact that some mail clients or
> > editors chose to ignore standards and common practices doesn't mean the
> > standard itself is bad and shouldn't be used.
> >
> > Costin
>
> Making developers jump through hoops (such as using a particular mail
> client) in order to participate in Tomcat development is not good for the
> project.
>
> Also, this has nothing to do with "standards". People should be able to
> choose whatever font they want to read their email.

It has all to do with "standards". Tabs have been used for indentation for
at least the last 15 years ( that's when I started playing with computers-
and the tab was there ).

A program to display a simple fixed-font text with tabs is quite trivial
- and it's not "jumping through hoops".

I guess that's enough talking with someone who calls me stupid, need to
check my mail filters now.

Costin

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/27/01 5:54 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a matter of principle here - the fact that some mail clients or
> editors chose to ignore standards and common practices doesn't mean the
> standard itself is bad and shouldn't be used.
>
> Costin

Making developers jump through hoops (such as using a particular mail
client) in order to participate in Tomcat development is not good for the
project.

Also, this has nothing to do with "standards". People should be able to
choose whatever font they want to read their email.

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Sun, 27 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 5/27/01 5:25 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Jon, try to write more code and less mail.
>
> Once again, you completely miss the point Costin.

I guess you completely miss the point - calling people stupid and behaving
the way you typically do may be fine in some places, but it's not
on an apache mailing list.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/27/01 5:25 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jon, try to write more code and less mail.

Once again, you completely miss the point Costin.

Your code isn't any good if people can't read the diff's that go into CVS
because they don't format correctly in email clients because of the tab's.

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Sun, 27 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 5/27/01 5:04 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html
> >

> > Costin
>
> Costin, you are being stupid (again).
>
> "However, some projects may decide to override these defaults and use their
> own defined conventions."

Yes, and tomcat hasn't decided that AFAIK. I'm monitoring the votes quite
closely now ( unless the PMC made such a decision for us, or the ASF )

Jon, try to write more code and less mail. Leave mail to people who can
behave.

Costin

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf DateTool.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/27/01 4:01 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are using tabs AFAIK ( or at least I am using tabs and I don't
> remember any vote or official rule that says this is not allowed ).
>

> Costin

<http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg08150.html>

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous