Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Alexey Kakunin <ak...@emdev.ru> on 2008/01/26 19:18:25 UTC

Hello JspWiki users.

First of all I want to congratulate JspWiki team with joining into Apache
project. I really hope JspWiki will leave incubator status very soon and
will become a "Normal" Apache Project.

We are using JspWiki quite a lot in our development, and met one problem:
Then JspWiki starts - it loads all pages...
This happens in WikiEngine.initReferenceManager - it loads all pages from
provider - and move them into reference Manager.

Problems are:
1. PageProvider may be very slow (like svn page provider used in some
projects)
2. There may be MANY pages, so, loading all of them may produce memory
problems.

In any case - this solution produce long time for starting JspWiki.

Are any way or plans to avoid this loading - or make it configurable?

We are using 2.4.102 - but as I saw - same code exists in current last
sources.

If it will require any development - we can do it - but - it will be better
it this job will be managed by somebody from JspWiki team.

--
With best regards,
Alexey Kakunin

Re: Loading all pages during JspWiki start

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> We are using JspWiki quite a lot in our development, and met one
> problem:
> Then JspWiki starts - it loads all pages...
> This happens in WikiEngine.initReferenceManager - it loads all
> pages from
> provider - and move them into reference Manager.

This is not exactly true.  ReferenceManager actually caches the
references using refmgr.ser.  So the *first* startup is slow, after
that it uses the cached data.

It is an unfortunate side effect of ACL loading - whenever the page
is hit in the beginning, we load the page and parse the ACLs.  They
should really be cached by DefaultAclManager.

> Are any way or plans to avoid this loading - or make it configurable?

There is no way to avoid this loading.   We intend to change this in
3.0, where ACLs should become proper metadata of the page instead of
being a part of the page content.

/Janne