Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jazarine Jamal <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/13 11:30:46 UTC

Junit test problem

I made a code change and then when i run the  junit test:

org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All

some 5 tests get passed and then some E occurs and then the test never gets
further. No error message comes out too...

This is the same state for 12 hours..

What could be the reason.?

Re: Junit test problem

Posted by Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@Sun.COM>.
Jazarine Jamal wrote:
> I made a code change and then when i run the  junit test:
>
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All
>
> some 5 tests get passed and then some E occurs and then the test never
> gets further. No error message comes out too...
>
> This is the same state for 12 hours..
>
> What could be the reason.?

I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to OutOfMemory problems. Try
increasing the heap size for the jvm. With Suns jvms its these options:

    -Xms<size>        set initial Java heap size
    -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size

Vemund

Re: Junit test problem

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Jazarine Jamal wrote:
> I made a code change and then when i run the  junit test:
>
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All
>
> some 5 tests get passed and then some E occurs and then the test never
> gets further. No error message comes out too...
>
> This is the same state for 12 hours..
>
> What could be the reason.?

Hard to say, but it's probably an environment problem or your code change :)

A few hints that can be helpful:
  * use jstack to see where in the (Derby) code the test run is stuck
    (doesn't always give helpful information)
  * use the graphical test runner to more quickly see which test fails/hang
  * re-run the test or subsuite to pinpoint the problematic area
  * run without your modifications to ensure there are no environment
problems
  * use a debugger to step through the test

In your case, I would start by investigating the tests that resulted in
errors. If you don't know which tests these are, have a look at
suites.All and start with the first suite added/run (note that JUnit
does not guarantee ordering for all scenarios).

In general, you can check the state of suites.All by looking at the
daily test results or the tinderbox test results:
http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/

hth, see you have gotten more answers already as well :)
--
Kristian

Re: Junit test problem

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jazarine,

Based on the limited info you provided, off the top of my head I'd say:
- your code change has caused an infinite loop?
- your code change caused derby to hang (deadlock?)

Or you could be having some JVM problems, but that's more unlikely.

Maybe if you share some more details about both your platform and the
change you made, someone may be able to offer better help.

I'll suggest you comment out/revert your changes and rerun the test on a
clean sandbox to see if it was your changes or your environment :)

BR,
Thomas

--
Thomas Nielsen