Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Leonard Gestrin <Le...@markettools.com> on 2006/09/20 07:25:54 UTC

how to make sure snapshots are rebuilt properly on a need-to-be basis using integration server

Hello,

This is my first email to the list and I am new to maven, so pardon me
if missed the solution to the problem I am envisioning - any help or
idea how it can be solved would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am sorry
about the lengh of the email as I am trying to illustrate the problem as
detailed as I can,

Lets say, I have

artifacts: webapp, webutil, util, common. - all these components are in
active development.

webapp depends  on webutil, util, common

webutil depends on util, common

util depends on common.

The goal is to make sure that snapshots are updated properly recursively
when change happens to a certain snapshot. And all pieces of the
application are using same versions of snapshots.

1.	To make sure every artifact depends on same version of
dependencies, parent  pom.xml will have

dependencyManagement>

<dependencies>

<dependency>

<!-3rd party ->

<groupId>commons-logging</groupId>

<version>1.0.4</version>

</dependency>

<!-internal->

<groupId>company.com</groupId>

<artifactId>webutil</artifactId>

<version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

<groupId>company.com</groupId>

<artifactId>util</artifactId>

<version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

<groupId>company.com</groupId>

<artifactId>common</artifactId>

<version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

</dependencyManagement>

2.	to make sure that snapshots are build using controlled
environment, lets say continuum is used to build them. So, my questions
are:

Will continuum rebuild ALL snapshots every time it makes a build?
(hourly, per say).

a) If "yes", how does it know the order in which snapshots in which it
have to be generated? (common first, util, webutil, webapp) - the order
is very important since if there is a change in common, util has to be
compiled against latest common classes.

Also, it seems to me that repository will get filled up very quickly
with identical snapshots for same component and each developer's machine
would have to sync new snapshots every time it checks with repository

      b)If  continuum is smart enough to create new snapshot only when
there has been code changes in src of particular module, does it know
that snapshots depending on that module have to be regenerated also?

3. if continuum does not have the answer for the problem/questions to 2.
can someone recommend the alternative solution/intergration server that
would ensure that snapshots are being incrementally deployed only when
and in the right dependency order? (if change has been done in util
module there is no need to redeploy common snapshot but there is a need
to redeploy webutil once util snapshot is ready)

Thanks

Leonard

Re: how to make sure snapshots are rebuilt properly on a need-to-be basis using integration server

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
This email is better sent to the Continuum Users list, since it has
very little to do with Maven and most everything to do with
Continuum...

continuum-users@maven.apache.org

Wayne