Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Konopinsky <sk...@blueprint.org> on 2004/12/07 22:17:23 UTC

Read locks on indexes

Hi,

I have a question regarding read locks on indexes. I have the situation
where I have n applications (separated jvms) running queries. These
applications are read-only, and never use an IndexWriter.

The index is only ever updated using rsync. The applications don't need
up the minute updates, only the data from when the reader was created is
fine.

My question is whether it's ok to disable read locks in this scenario?
What are read locks protecting?

Best,
Shawn.

Re: Read locks on indexes

Posted by Luke Shannon <ls...@hypermedia.com>.
I think the read locks are preventing you from deleting from the index with
your reader and writing to the index with a writer at the same time.

If you never use a writer than I guess you don't need to worry about this.

But how do you create the indexes?

Luke