Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/08/04 00:26:22 UTC

horses and carts; was: Accept Glasgow into Incubator

Mads, I'm not sure if you meant to vote, but it raises a dialog so I'm
forking the subject.

Mads Toftum wrote:
> I very much agree with Garretts concerns - and would be much in favor of
> not bringing the project into incubation before they have proven an
> actual community and that they can work the standard the "apache way".

Which is the cart and which is the horse?  Code like stdcxx, derby, etc
don't come from "apache way" communities.  Working in an OSS community
is a learned skill.  These projects come to us with good code, and they
come asking to learn how to operate as a community, rather than the
traditional commercial development models.

And what's the role of the incubator if not to teach those skills?

Bill

Re: horses and carts; was: Accept Glasgow into Incubator

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 8/3/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Mads, I'm not sure if you meant to vote, but it raises a dialog so I'm
> forking the subject.
>
> Mads Toftum wrote:
> > I very much agree with Garretts concerns - and would be much in favor of
> > not bringing the project into incubation before they have proven an
> > actual community and that they can work the standard the "apache way".
>
> Which is the cart and which is the horse?  Code like stdcxx, derby, etc
> don't come from "apache way" communities.  Working in an OSS community
> is a learned skill.  These projects come to us with good code, and they
> come asking to learn how to operate as a community, rather than the
> traditional commercial development models.
>
> And what's the role of the incubator if not to teach those skills?

FWIW, I don't have any problem with people showing up at the incubator
with some code and wanting to build a community around it, that's just
fine.  I just want it to actually feel like that's the goal, and in
this case that wasn't the feeling I was getting.  Now it's perfectly
possible that I was just getting the wrong impression, I could
certainly be wrong, and it's quite hard to tell for sure when
everything the people bringing this proposal to us says is behind
closed doors except their conclusions.

-garrett