Posted to builds@apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/06/12 01:18:22 UTC

Does our Jenkins default maven settings setup for using the repository.apache.com NEXUS mirrors?

While climbing the learning curve a bit more on Jenkins, I saw in the
configuration in the advance build options, the ability to use a "private Maven
repository".  The help for this suggested "When using this option, consider
setting up a Maven artifact manager so that you don't have to hit remote Maven
repositories too often."

We have a repository in our infrastructure that mirrors Maven Central - the
repository.apache.org machine.

Is that set up as a mirror for our Jenkins maven builds, when the Jenkins
configuration for settings file is set to "Use default maven settings"?

I see there is also a choice for settings file which is "provided settings.xml"
which, in turn, gives 2 sub-choices:
   * archiva-deploy-snapshots-settings and
   * simple-deploy-settings-no-mirror

Is the first one of these the same as "Use default maven settings"?

If this is all documented somewhere for our installation, can you point me to that?

Thanks, and apologies for the many questions!

-Marshall Schor

Re: Does our Jenkins default maven settings setup for using the repository.apache.com NEXUS mirrors?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2013/6/13 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:

> On 6/12/2013 6:54 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>> 2013/6/12 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
>>> While climbing the learning curve a bit more on Jenkins, I saw in the
>>> configuration in the advance build options, the ability to use a "private Maven
>>> repository".  The help for this suggested "When using this option, consider
>>> setting up a Maven artifact manager so that you don't have to hit remote Maven
>>> repositories too often."
>> Use "Local to Executor" option. as it you won't download everything
>> all the time and it's concurrency safe.
>
> The choices for "Use private Maven repository" are:
>
>   * Default (~/.m2/repository)
>   * Local to the Executor
>   * Local to the Workspace
>
> Is the ~ in ~/.m2/repository some shared general user across all build running
> (possibly concurrently) on this machine (e.g. "jenkins")

Yes that's a shared directory.
> Is the Executor one instance of potentially multiple "runners" of builds on this
> single machine?
No not shared but can be reuse later by other builds.

> Is the "Workspace" for a particular build configuration reused for subsequent
> builds - in other words, if I made the repository local to the Workspace, would
> I be isolated from other work running on Jenkins, and yet get reuse in this repo
> for subsequent builds of this same configuration?
Yup fully isolated (as the executor) but won't be reused by other builds.
BUT if you job run on other nodes you will consume a lot of spaces for nothing.
Perso I would recommend using the Local to the Executor (prevent
concurrent access and save disk space) (I'd like to disable the Local
to the workspace for our instances @asf)

> Thanks for clarifying.  I'm happy to read the "manual" if someone can point me
> in the right direction...
>
> -Marshall
>>
>>> We have a repository in our infrastructure that mirrors Maven Central - the
>>> repository.apache.org machine.
>>>
>>> Is that set up as a mirror for our Jenkins maven builds, when the Jenkins
>>> configuration for settings file is set to "Use default maven settings"?
>> If you want to deploy snapshots to repository.a.o yes.
>>> I see there is also a choice for settings file which is "provided settings.xml"
>>> which, in turn, gives 2 sub-choices:
>>>    * archiva-deploy-snapshots-settings and
>> This one is used to deploy to our Archiva instance (
>> https://archiva-repository.apache.org/archiva/index.html?request_lang=en
>> ) and use this Archiva instance as a mirror of central
>>>    * simple-deploy-settings-no-mirror
>> contains settings to deploy to repository.a.o
>>
>>> Is the first one of these the same as "Use default maven settings"?
>>>
>>> If this is all documented somewhere for our installation, can you point me to that?
>>>
>>> Thanks, and apologies for the many questions!
>>>
>>> -Marshall Schor
>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: Does our Jenkins default maven settings setup for using the repository.apache.com NEXUS mirrors?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier Lamy