Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> on 2010/04/27 13:35:55 UTC

[M3] regression: M3 warns because of parent POM

Hi,

M3 complains now if the referenced parent of a POM is not in the parent
directory:

=========== %< =============
$ mvn validate
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] snapshot com.scalaris.buildsystem.maven2:master:SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from scalaris-repo-snapshot
[WARNING]
[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model
for com.scalaris.commons:scalaris-commons-lang:jar:2.2.11-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' of POM com.scalaris.commons:scalaris-
commons-lang:2.2.11-SNAPSHOT (/home/jos/work/internal/commons/lang/pom.xml)
points at com.scalaris.commons:builder instead of
com.scalaris.buildsystem.maven2:master, please verify your project structure
@
[WARNING]
[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]
[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support
building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]
=========== %< =============

This is the standard case using a company wide POM that defines e.g. the
version of plugins and dependencies. There is simply no relative path to the
parent POM in use (and never will be). The POM in the parent directory is
only used to build several components at once and has no further relevance.
Therefore is this warning absolutely useless. Moreover, Maven itself uses
this mechanism e.g. for the common Apache (and Maven) parent(s). Dropping
this functionality - as the warning indicates - would require that all
Apache projects using Maven (and this parent) have to reside in a physical
directory tree - which is obviously nonsense.

- Jörg

Re: [M3] regression: M3 warns because of parent POM

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> M3 complains now if the referenced parent of a POM is not in the parent
>> directory:
>>
>> [WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' of POM com.scalaris.commons:scalaris-
>> commons-lang:2.2.11-SNAPSHOT
>> (/home/jos/work/internal/commons/lang/pom.xml) points at
>> com.scalaris.commons:builder instead of
>> com.scalaris.buildsystem.maven2:master, please verify your project
>> structure
>
> Reading the release notes, you will notice that this is not a regression
> but an intentional change (MNG-4619).
>
>> There is simply no relative path to the
>> parent POM in use (and never will be).
>
> Then simple set
>
>   <relativePath/>
>
> for the parent element and be fine.

Thanks. Sorry for not RTFM first.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Milos Kleint wrote:

> Can we have this documented in the xsd for the relativePath
> element?

Done.

Benjamin

Re: [M3] regression: M3 warns because of parent POM

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <
benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu> wrote:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>  M3 complains now if the referenced parent of a POM is not in the parent
>> directory:
>>
>> [WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' of POM com.scalaris.commons:scalaris-
>> commons-lang:2.2.11-SNAPSHOT
>> (/home/jos/work/internal/commons/lang/pom.xml)
>> points at com.scalaris.commons:builder instead of
>> com.scalaris.buildsystem.maven2:master, please verify your project
>> structure
>>

> Reading the release notes, you will notice that this is not a regression
> but an intentional change (MNG-4619).
>

>  There is simply no relative path to the
>> parent POM in use (and never will be).
>>

> Then simple set
>
>  <relativePath/>
>
> for the parent element and be fine.

that's a rather hidden gem. AFAIK so far empty elements never had a meaning
in the pom file. Can we have this documented in the xsd for the relativePath
element?

Milos

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.