Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dominique Batard <db...@sf2r.fr> on 2003/08/20 17:45:11 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.7 Host default Context docBase

Hi

Trying to run a Tomcat 4.1.24 web app using Tomcat 5.0.7.

Host and context parameters :

<Host name="edevis" debug="0" appBase="c:/edevis" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" >
   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs" prefix="edevis_access_log."    suffix=".txt" pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
   <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" directory="logs" prefix="edevis_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
   <Context path="" docBase="c:/edevis" reloadable="true" workDir="c:/edevis/work/org/apache/jsp"/>
</Host>

Whatever I put in this virtual host default context docBase (c:/edevis, or .) , when I start tomcat, I get :

20 août 2003 17:28:30 org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
GRAVE: Begin event threw exception
java.io.IOException: Syntaxe du nom de fichier, de répertoire ou de volume incorrecte
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize0(Native Method)
at java.io.Win32FileSystem.canonicalize(Win32FileSystem.java:352)
at java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(File.java:513)
at java.io.File.getCanonicalFile(File.java:534)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.SetDocBaseRule.begin(SetDocBaseRule.java:137)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:512)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:550)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:260)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:393)

and tomcat doesn't want to start

If i suppress <Context path="" docBase="c:/edevis" ..... , I don't have any error, but the web app doesn't run.

The jakarta docs don't show any difference about virtual hosts and default contexts between 4.1.x and 5.0.x

Dom

Re: problem installing basic app

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 01:21 PM 8/24/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>How would you register a webapp's servlet and that servlet's  url-mapping
>when the invoker servlet mapping is disabled...???   I hope that sounds
>right.  I just uncommented the invoker mapping in conf/web.xml but if this
>is a security risk I would like to know the other way to go about installing
>new web apps

Use your own custom servlet mappings.  In fact, you can set up your
mappings to be under /servlet if you want, giving you the paths you are
used to without enabling the invoker servlet.

Jake

Re: problem installing basic app

Posted by asolomon <as...@nyc.rr.com>.
before I was using the servlet-mapping and it didn't work but now it is
working...  Looks like I needed a break.

Thanks
Posted by Atreya Basu <at...@greenfieldresearch.ca>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
You really need to read the release notes.  The invoker servlet is disabled
by default in all Tomcat releases.  This started quite a while ago now.  To
re-enable, uncomment the servlet-mapping for the invoker servlet in the
conf/web.xml.

Jake

Posted by asolomon <as...@nyc.rr.com>.
please help... I have a problem installing simple "hello world" servlets on
tomcat 4.1.27 and 4.1.24  for some reason they wont' run the classes when I
type the url in the web browser.  Here is my error message is below.  I also
double checked my web.xml file and this file is correct.  I also tried using
the servlet-name I gave to my TestingServlet but that doesn't work either.
anyone know of any issues with tomcat and windowsXP?

HTTP Status 404 - /myapp/servlet/TestingServlet
----\
type Status report
message /myapp/servlet/TestingServlet
description The requested resource (/myapp/servlet/TestingServlet) is not
available.
----
Apache Tomcat/4.1.27

Re: Tomcat 5.0.7 Host default Context docBase

Posted by Dominique Batard <db...@sf2r.fr>.
Hi John

Yes, I've tried C:\edevis : same trouble.

I've finaly found that the docBase and workDir paths of the Context (not the
appBase) MUST be relative to the $CATALINA_HOME  path (../edevis), within
server.xml, or using the Context files.

I don't have this trouble with 4.1.x

I've just downloaded 5.0.9, I'll give it a try ..

Dom
> Looks like it is complaining about the path.  Have you tried using
C:\edevis

Posted by Dominique Batard <db...@sf2r.fr>.
Trying 5.0.9, same trouble.

I must correct my last message :

Whatever I use in the docBase and workDir properties of Context in Host
within server.xml (absolute, relative to appBase or to $CATALINA_HOME, using
/ or \), I get the IOException.

But; suppressing the Context tag in Host within server.xml, and using a
context file (conf/Catalina/edevis/foo.xml) the docBase path cannot be
absolute, it must be relative to the appBase property of Host within
server.xml, and workDir cannot be absolute, it must be relative to
$CATALINA_HOME !

Here is my foo.xml :

<!--
Context configuration file for the edevis Web App
-->
<Context path="" docBase="." reloadable="true" debug="0" privileged="true"
workDir="../edevis/work">
prefix="edevis_default_log." suffix=".txt"
timestamp="true"/>
</Context>

Dom

Posted by John Corrigan <jo...@johncorrigan.net>.