Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by James Higginbotham <ja...@jxtapose.org> on 2001/11/12 19:55:05 UTC

Multiple Home Pages

All,

I posted a question a couple of days ago, but must have been half asleep..
Let me try one more time:

I want to produce a web site that has 2 central home pages - a user home
page and a project home page. Think sourceforge. From what I can tell,
Jetspeed mostly focuses on the user only and would require codebase changes
to Jetspeed to enable it to become centered in 2 areas.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to produce a Jetspeed-based site that
focuses on 2 primary areas - a user and a project (owned by a user)?

If so, what kind of effort would be required to accomplish this based on any
changes needed in the JetSpeed codebase?

Thanks,
James

Re: Multiple Home Pages

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
A couple ideas:

1) 2 installations of Jetspeed. The downside of this is the
configuration is not, or should not, be shared unless you are using a
database for user and PSML.

2) Use named pages or groups, i.e.
http://localhost/jetspeed/portal/page/central_home and
http://localhost/jetspeed/portal/page/user_home.  I know of a problem in
customizing a non-default page.

Paul Spencer

Re: Multiple Home Pages

Posted by James Higginbotham <ja...@jxtapose.org>.
The concept is the same as Sourceforge: a user-centric portal view and a
project-centric portal view. The project-centric view would be managed by
the owner(s) of the project. Without looking into Jetspeed too deep, it
seems that it is more geared for the user-centric than running both, unless
I'm just underestimating the power of Jetspeed and its portlets..

Take a look at Sourceforge.net and consider the home page for a project
offering the same functionally as a user homepage - managed portlets, etc.
The only difference is that the project is managed by the owner, a user (but
viewable by all). The user homepage would aggregate the data across the
projects, which seems to me more of a data mgmt issue than a Jetspeed issue.

Thoughts? Anyone doing something similiar?

James

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Multiple Home Pages