Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2010/11/05 20:19:50 UTC

scm-changes-maven-extension, and retiring maven-reactor-plugin

The maven-reactor-plugin for M2 served its purpose, which was to make it
easier to build partial subsets of Maven projects in Maven 2.0.  In Maven
2.1, we added much of the functionality of maven-reactor-plugin as
command-line arguments to maven: --resume-from, --also-make,
--also-make-dependents.

There's only one feature left in maven-reactor-plugin that isn't already a
native part of Maven; that's the "make-scm-changes" goal, which builds
only projects that you've modified (according to SCM) and projects that
are downstream of your changes.

That feature is really useful (it's quite popular here where I work), but
it's also busted in M3.

Today, I've rewritten that functionality as a Maven build extension, which
I'm tentatively calling scm-changes-maven-extension.  (But I'm not so
happy with that name; alternative suggestions are welcome.)

It's checked in to sandbox/trunk/shared:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/shared/scm-changes-maven-extension

I'd like to gradually begin the release process for this extension; then
I'd like to put a big "DEPRECATED" message in the documentation for
maven-reactor-plugin, and move the m-r-p code into the "retired" bucket.

The key questions I have right now:

1) What groupId/parent POM should I use for this build extension?  The
only other extension I'm aware of is maven-plugin-enforcer, which is in
"shared," and Brett's retro-maven-extension, which was an incredibly
helpful example. :-)

Should there be an "org.apache.maven.extensions" groupId to parallel
o.a.maven.plugins?

2) Right now the code is checked in to sandbox/trunk/shared.  Is "shared"
the right place for this code?  Is there a better place?

-Dan

Re: scm-changes-maven-extension, and retiring maven-reactor-plugin

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Are you thinking of maven-enforcer-plugin?  I was referring to
maven-plugin-enforcer!  :-p  *crosses eyes*

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/enforcer/trunk/maven-enforcer-plugin/
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/trunk/maven-plugin-enforcer/

maven-enforcer-plugin is, indeed, a plugin; maven-plugin-enforcer is a
Maven 3.0 build extension and NOT a plugin.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/trunk/maven-plugin-enforcer/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/util/pluginenforcer/PluginEnforcingMavenLifecycleParticipant.java

-Dan

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.