Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org> on 2019/11/20 21:20:22 UTC

Java Modules

Opening up a discussion about Zookeeper using Java Modules (JPMS)
introduced in Java 9.  I noticed there was no Automatic-Module-Name set in
the Jar so I opened up a ticket:
There is some interest in Accumulo for using modules, but I think we are
some time away before that happens.  We have put some notes and comments
about it here:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/1434

Re: Java Modules

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

Il mer 20 nov 2019, 22:20 Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> Opening up a discussion about Zookeeper using Java Modules (JPMS)
> introduced in Java 9.  I noticed there was no Automatic-Module-Name set in
> the Jar so I opened up a ticket:
> There is some interest in Accumulo for using modules, but I think we are
> some time away before that happens.  We have put some notes and comments
> about it here:
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/1434

Thank you for starting this discussion.
As far as I know if we think only about the code provided by Zookeeper
project (leaving out Netty, slf4j....) we have two client side jars:
- zookeeper
- zookeeper.jute

I see in the near future a new module for the Metrics providers API on the
client side, but after 3.6 release.

We should decide two module names for these jars, and we should choose them
carefully: it won't be easy to change our mind in the future.

IIRC We have some split packages problem here, the same problem is still
for OSGI.

We should dare to rename jute stuff, it will be a minor break change in the
public API and so we can do it only for 3.7 or 4.0.

If you are able to perform experiments just by adding Automatic-Module-Name
in such modules and see if this split packages problem is a real problem it
would be great.

Personally I will be happy to follow your work and guide the change.
It is one of the stuff in my mid/long term backlog.

Cheers
Enrico