Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/03/15 04:26:18 UTC

exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

About 4 days ago the build was changed to differently
handle the way blocks are excluded. Now it looks like
those properties are ignored.

Today one of the blocks is broken. I tried to get around
it as usual by un-commenting the line in local.blocks.properties
to no avail.

Would people please test before committing changes to
the build. This sort of thing just kills the productivity
of everyone else.

--David

Re: exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:
> hi,
>
>> Today one of the blocks is broken. I tried to get around
>> it as usual by un-commenting the line in local.blocks.properties
>> to no avail.
>>

> i made a CVS update, and had no problem running "build webapp",
> i even tried setting in local.block.properties all
> entries from
> #exclude.block.XXX=true to
> exclude.block.XXX=true
> and no block compilation was performed.
> which block is broken?

Same behavior experienced here.

In fact, before committing, I *DID* test the build exactly to avoid
potential issues.

Stefano.

Re: exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> David Crossley wrote, On 18/03/2003 3.37:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> David Crossley wrote:
>>

>> <snip/>

>>> Oh, gosh, ant is *very* picky. Fixed in CVS.
>>

>> Gee, i could have easily committed such a simple fix to
>> remove the extra whitespace. However, i left it because as
>> discussed above, it needs a more robust solution, like using
>> normalize-space() in the blocks-build.xsl, but i could not
>> see where to do this. Quick hacks just leave the way open for
>> the build to be busted again like this and causing someone
>> else three days of grief.
>

> I had moved the properties in xml files, so that the whitespace there is
> really easy to see. Why did we resort back to property files for it?

Because flat properties are much less verbose and much more friendly to
edit.

you have a point on whitespace, though, but I still think this is an ant
problem, not ours.

Stefano.

Re: exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote, On 18/03/2003 3.37:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>>Found it - there is extra whitespace at the end of these
>>>three lines in block.properties, i.e. after the =true
>>>
>>>Thank the lord, i am not going mad. Sounds like we
>>>need normalize-space() whenever properties are read.
>>>Call in the XSL/build experts.
>>
>>Oh, gosh, ant is *very* picky. Fixed in CVS.
>
> Gee, i could have easily committed such a simple fix to
> remove the extra whitespace. However, i left it because as
> discussed above, it needs a more robust solution, like using
> normalize-space() in the blocks-build.xsl, but i could not
> see where to do this. Quick hacks just leave the way open for
> the build to be busted again like this and causing someone
> else three days of grief.

I had moved the properties in xml files, so that the whitespace there is
really easy to see. Why did we resort back to property files for it?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>>Found it - there is extra whitespace at the end of these
>>>three lines in block.properties, i.e. after the =true
>>>
>>>Thank the lord, i am not going mad. Sounds like we
>>>need normalize-space() whenever properties are read.
>>>Call in the XSL/build experts.
>>
>>Oh, gosh, ant is *very* picky. Fixed in CVS.
>

> Gee, i could have easily committed such a simple fix to
> remove the extra whitespace. However, i left it because as
> discussed above, it needs a more robust solution, like using
> normalize-space() in the blocks-build.xsl, but i could not
> see where to do this. Quick hacks just leave the way open for
> the build to be busted again like this and causing someone
> else three days of grief.

David, I'm not trying to be abnoxious, I just fix it *now* but I didn't
want to rule out better solutions.

Now, since the properties are *NOT* loaded by xslt, we can't use any
normalized-space() thing.

I think it's the <istrue> <condition> in ant that needs to strip
whitespace before avaluating. Maybe we could submit a bug report there.

Stefano.

Re: exclusion of certain blocks from build is busted

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Bernhard Huber wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>Today one of the blocks is broken. I tried to get around
>>>it as usual by un-commenting the line in local.blocks.properties
>>>to no avail.
>>
>>i made a CVS update, and had no problem running "build webapp",
>>i even tried setting in local.block.properties all
>>entries from
>>#exclude.block.XXX=true to
>>exclude.block.XXX=true
>>and no block compilation was performed.
>>which block is broken?
>

> Thanks to Bernhard and Stefano for following up.
>
> However, i still get the same problem with today's CVS.
> The Lucene block is broken and i cannot get around it.
>
> cvs update cocoon-2.1 ... no issues
> ./build.sh clean
> ./build.sh webapp
> --------------------------
> .../cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/lucene/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/
> LuceneIndexTransformer.java:75: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class NOPCacheValidity
> location: package caching
> import org.apache.cocoon.caching.NOPCacheValidity;
>                                  ^
> .../cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/lucene/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/
> LuceneIndexTransformer.java:212: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : variable NOPCacheValidity
> location: class org.apache.cocoon.transformation.LuceneIndexTransformer
>         return NOPCacheValidity.CACHE_VALIDITY;
>                ^
> 2 errors
> --------------------------
>
> vi local.blocks.properties
>  un-comment the lucene block to exclude it
> ./build.sh clean
> ./build.sh webapp
> ... same problem.
>
> So i am confused.

I'm sorry, David, but everything works fine here. Lucene compiles, with
and without the deprecated classes. All blocks can be commented out from
local.block.properties and all doing just as it's supposed to be.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

>Today one of the blocks is broken. I tried to get around
>it as usual by un-commenting the line in local.blocks.properties
>to no avail.

i made a CVS update, and had no problem running "build webapp",
i even tried setting in local.block.properties all
entries from
#exclude.block.XXX=true to
exclude.block.XXX=true
and no block compilation was performed.