Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Foreman, Alex (IT)" <Al...@morganstanley.com> on 2008/09/16 18:06:28 UTC

URL=.... Behaviour

I have a feature request I  asked about before but may have ben lost.

If you have a url and its not in its place in its repository then Ivy will download it and ignore local='true' as it did not find it in the reolver correctly but elsewhere.  This obiously can be anywhere as it's a URL and we want to consider it remote.

Is there or can there be a way to force the resover to always be local.  Eg even if it's a url use that location when using a cache path rarther than the local cache position.

Maybe <cache useOrigin="always" /> in ivy-settings.

I have been considering doing this via a trigger but might be nice if Ivy supported it directly.

Many thanks,

Alex Foreman
Morgan Stanley | Technology
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 06
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7677-5732
Alexander.Foreman@morganstanley.com

RE: URL=.... Behaviour

Posted by "Foreman, Alex (IT)" <Al...@morganstanley.com>.
The Repository is a Read-only file system.  We use this for buildtime and also running production programs.

WE cannot use the cache for production programs (I build and create a runscript which a prod system uses but is pointing to stuff in my cache.  I delete that cache.)  It must reference the RO FS.

So It has to be on our RO file system.  Unfortunatly Some projects have been placed in a non-standrad way.  This is either due to ignorance or limitations of the programs we were installing.

Thus we want to force everything to be origin.

I have a work around for this working currently.

Simply we have a trigger that looks for runtime and then creates an extra path called runtime_script_path when cachepath=runtime.

I make sure the origin for everything is put in that and that is what gets written to the runtime_script_path not the 'runtime' created by standard.

Maybe my use case is rare but It would be nice to have that option built into ivy as it would also speed up our resolutions :)

Posted by "Foreman, Alex (IT)" <Al...@morganstanley.com>.

I added it to an unspecified version.  As I realise 2.0.0 has all its JIRAs complete :)
It would be nice to have for us next version tho. (2.0.1?)

In the mean time im going to have to hack our use case via triggers.

Many thanks,

Alex Foreman
Morgan Stanley | Technology
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 06
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7677-5732
Alexander.Foreman@morganstanley.com

> We have a standard resolver where 90% of our projects exist in the
> correct place.
> 10% of projects are in the same filesystem but not standardly placed.
> We cannot change the place they exist at.
>
> So anything unstandard is located via a url="file://....." link for
> the artifact.
>
> We wish to use there origin location rarther than the place in the cache.

Ok, I see, this is not supported yet, so please file an improvement in JIRA.

Xavier

Re: URL=.... Behaviour

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.