Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Johannes Gijsbers <jo...@dds.nl> on 2006/08/06 10:36:21 UTC

Adding a file for xCal metadata in the content repository

[I tried to send this yesterday, but apparently it didn't show up.]

Hey Lenya developers,

I'm currently working on a module that would allow xCal events to be
associated with a document. In a sense, these xCal events are metadata
on that document. However, it's not possible to represent xCal data in
the metadata format that Lenya uses (nor do I think it should be).

My current thinking would be to add a '.xcal' file in the repository for
every document that has xCal data associated with it. So a typical
directory would look like this:

/pubs/default/content/authoring/tutorial:

index_en
index_en.meta
index_en.xcal

(Obviously indexes generally won't have xCal events associated with
them, but you get the point.)

Now my questions are: does this make sense in the Lenya architecture?
Does it seem like the best way to implement it? If so, could you give me
some pointers on the implementation?

TIA,

Johannes

Re: Adding a file for xCal metadata in the content repository

Posted by Johannes Gijsbers <jo...@dds.nl>.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:22:23 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Johannes Gijsbers wrote:
>> [I tried to send this yesterday, but apparently it didn't show up.]
>>
>> Hey Lenya developers,
>>
>> I'm currently working on a module that would allow xCal events to be
>> associated with a document. In a sense, these xCal events are metadata
>> on that document. However, it's not possible to represent xCal data in
>> the metadata format that Lenya uses (nor do I think it should be).
>
> Would you mind giving a quick summary why this shouldn't be possible?
> Maybe it would make sense to support xCal?

As far as I can tell, the Lenya metadata support has the following
architecture: a meta data file has element sets. An element set has keys
and values. So let's say xCal would be one element set. Mapping xCal to
flat keys and values is not possible, because an xCal document can have
multiple events. It can also have multiple attendees within an event.

I think it shouldn't be possible, because it would basically mean
extending the Lenya metadata format into supporting arbitrary XML.

>> My current thinking would be to add a '.xcal' file in the repository for
>> every document that has xCal data associated with it. So a typical
>> directory would look like this:
>>
>> /pubs/default/content/authoring/tutorial:
>>
>> index_en
>> index_en.meta
>> index_en.xcal
>
> That would require to tweak the repository layer, it doesn't really
> conform to the Lenya architecture.

Ok.

> If the meta data can't be expressed using the Lenya meta data, I'd see two
> approaches:
>
> 1) embed the data in the document using a namespace
>
> 2) add a second document (which contains the xCal data) for each content
>     document and use a meta data element (preferrably by declaring a
>     custom element set) to store the UUID of the xCal document
>
> The second option seems cleaner to me. But it would require to override
> the publishing usecase etc. and add the code to handle the xCal documents.

Hmm, okay. I'll think about both of these options.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Johannes Gijsbers wrote:
> [I tried to send this yesterday, but apparently it didn't show up.]
>
> Hey Lenya developers,
>
> I'm currently working on a module that would allow xCal events to be
> associated with a document. In a sense, these xCal events are metadata
> on that document. However, it's not possible to represent xCal data in
> the metadata format that Lenya uses (nor do I think it should be).

Would you mind giving a quick summary why this shouldn't be possible?
Maybe it would make sense to support xCal?

> My current thinking would be to add a '.xcal' file in the repository for
> every document that has xCal data associated with it. So a typical
> directory would look like this:
>
> /pubs/default/content/authoring/tutorial:
>
> index_en
> index_en.meta
> index_en.xcal

That would require to tweak the repository layer, it doesn't really
conform to the Lenya architecture.

> (Obviously indexes generally won't have xCal events associated with
> them, but you get the point.)
>
> Now my questions are: does this make sense in the Lenya architecture?
> Does it seem like the best way to implement it? If so, could you give me
> some pointers on the implementation?

If the meta data can't be expressed using the Lenya meta data, I'd see
two approaches:

1) embed the data in the document using a namespace

2) add a second document (which contains the xCal data) for each content
    document and use a meta data element (preferrably by declaring a
    custom element set) to store the UUID of the xCal document

The second option seems cleaner to me.
But it would require to override the publishing usecase etc. and add the
code to handle the xCal documents.

-- Andreas