Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com> on 2007/03/15 05:34:20 UTC

Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

	Hi,

	I need to setup an Apache Subversion server, which will be having at least
10 repositories,
	each of the size on an average 3 GB. So, subversion server will be having
overall about 30GB data
	to do a Revision Control of.

	I need to know if there are any size constraints (like Visual Source
Safe)on the repository and number of 	repositories that can be added for
Revision Control?

	Details:
	Apache 2.2.4
	SVN 1.4.3

	Thanks in advance.

	Regards,
	Swati L Kulkarni

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/16/07, Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com> wrote:
> Hi Andreas ,
>
>         1) Regarding repository type:
>         I have come across this info about Berkley-DB :-
>         "Do not create or access a Berkeley DB repository on a network share. It
> cannot exist on a remote filesystem. If you attempt to use Berkeley DB on a
> network share, the results are unpredictable - you may see mysterious errors
> right away. "
>
>         So,definitely I will be going for FSFS type of repository as we need to
> network our repository.(which is default in SVN1.4.3).

This is only applicable if you're accessing the repository via the
file:/// method and you're using BDB. However, you shouldn't be
running your repository on file:/// if you have multiple developers.
If you serve your repository via svnserve or Apache, BDB will work
just fine.

>         With Windows 2003 Server OS , can I expect "svnadmin dump" command to work?

Works just fine. svnadmin dump was created in part to allow you to
transfer repositories across OSes, so it has to work anywhere the rest
of the SVN suite works.

Posted by François Beausoleil <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2007/3/16, Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com>:
>         3) File System:
>         NTFS.
>
>         With Windows 2003 Server OS , can I expect "svnadmin dump" command to work?
>         As per your reply, I will have to split file system in case of FSFS, if I
> want storage of ~1M. Can you please elaborate more on that?

That's one million *revisions*.  I don't think you need worry about
that for now.  And svnadmin dump works fine on Windows too.  I used it
many times to transfer to/from Unix repositories.

Welcome to Subversion !
--
François Beausoleil
http://blog.teksol.info/

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/16/07, Stefan Langer <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Erik Huelsmann schrieb:
> > [...]
> > The actual limit is 2^31-1. Subversion doesn't impose any other limits
> > than that the revision number is a signed 32-bit integer.
> > [...]
> Why not make it unsigned ? Just in case ;)

Negative values have special meanings...

bye,

Erik.

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Stefan Langer <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>> Is anyone doing automated regression tests of svn so we know what the
>> actual limits are?
>
> The actual limit is 2^31-1. Subversion doesn't impose any other limits
> than that the revision number is a signed 32-bit integer.

I understand the theoretical basis for this, but real world tests on an
assortment of real world filesystems might reveal some unexpected issues
or impractical timing, so I wondered if anyone had actually tested the
limits.  If everything was perfect we wouldn't need all these revisions...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Sticky bit on "db" directory

Posted by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>.
In Mason's "Pragmatic Version Control", in the "Networking with svn+ssh"
section, it says that when setting up a repository, the "db" directory
needs to have its sticky bit set.

I notice that "svnadmin create /path/to/repo" sets the sgid bit but not the
sticky bit.  I can see why the sgid bit would be set, but I can't see why
the sticky bit needs to be set, and I was wondering if that might have been
a misprint in the book, or something that's peculiar to the BDB back end
(I'm using FSFS).

(Or, does the sgid bit also set the sticky bit by default?)

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Konrad Rosenbaum <ko...@silmor.de>.
On Friday 16 March 2007, Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
> don't think that there are real projects which currently have more than
> about 100k revisions.

At this moment KDE is at 643711. With about 100k new revisions per year.

But unless you belong to those few projects that have over 1000 developers
it is unlikely that you will reach numbers like this anytime soon.

	Konrad

Re: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Swati Kulkarni schrieb:
> As per your reply, I will have to split file system in case of FSFS, if I
> want storage of ~1M. Can you please elaborate more on that?

No, you totally misunderstood me. I said: "... if a file system allows
only 1M files, ...". I *never* said that your filesystem (NTFS) has such
a restriction! I guess that actual NTFS implementations will have limits
which are far higher.

And I was talking about the total number of *revisions*, not files. I
don't think that there are real projects which currently have more than
about 100k revisions. Probably WebDAV based projects using auto-commits
may have such big revision numbers.

Please read the following paper about file system performance on M$
Windows servers:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/subsys_perf.mspx

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

Posted by Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com>.
Hi Andreas ,

	1) Regarding repository type:
	I have come across this info about Berkley-DB :-
	"Do not create or access a Berkeley DB repository on a network share. It
cannot exist on a remote filesystem. If you attempt to use Berkeley DB on a
network share, the results are unpredictable - you may see mysterious errors
right away. "

	So,definitely I will be going for FSFS type of repository as we need to
network our repository.(which is default in SVN1.4.3).

	2) OS:
	I am using Windows 2003 Server OS on Subversion repositoy machine.

	3) File System:
	NTFS.

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Dear Swati!

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
>         The server has :
>         CPU 2.80GHz
>         2GB RAM
>         75GB disk space
>
> According to these figures,Server should not create
> any problem to serve Revision Control for 30GB data repositories.
> What do you say???
> I asked this query because we need to network these Repositories and didnt
> want any
> hurdles (like size n all...)-------:))

You won't run into any of the limitations that VSS saddled you with (I
don't miss admining VSS at all) which you're concerned with.
Definitely plan for expanding your disk space in the future (though
not nearly as fast as you would with VSS), but aside from that your
server should be fine.

RE: Are there any size constraints for a SVN Server?

On Mar 15, 2007, at 00:34, Swati Kulkarni wrote:

> 	I need to setup an Apache Subversion server, which will be having
> at least
> 10 repositories,
> 	each of the size on an average 3 GB. So, subversion server will be
> having
> overall about 30GB data
> 	to do a Revision Control of.
>
> 	I need to know if there are any size constraints (like Visual Source
> Safe)on the repository and number of 	repositories that can be
> added for
> Revision Control?

I don't know VSS. But for Subversion the only limits should be the
server hardware: size of the hard disks, how much RAM, processor
speed. Subversion itself shouldn't have any built-in limits.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.