Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/17 13:38:22 UTC

[CRYPTO] 32-bit builds for Windows and Mac - still needed?

The win32 profile build seems to work OK, but is there a need for it?
If so, it can be added to build.sh; otherwise the profile and other
references should be dropped.

The mac32 profile build fails, and looks to be difficult to fix.
We should remove it.

Sebb

Re: [CRYPTO] 32-bit builds for Windows and Mac - still needed?

Posted by Alex Remily <al...@gmail.com>.
<The win32 profile build seems to work OK, but is there a need for it?  If
so, it can be added to build.sh; otherwise the profile and other references
should be dropped.>

I've gone back and forth on that question myself.  My initial instinct was
to advocate dropping the 32 bit Windows support, but since then I've come
to the opinion that Commons Crypto should support 32 bit Windows as long as
OpenSSL still does.  There's minimal effort required to maintain
support, so why not?

<The mac32 profile build fails, and looks to be difficult to fix.  We
should remove it.>

Completely agree.