Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2002/12/17 17:39:06 UTC

Re: Ant using commons code/jars

Has anyone brought it up on ant-dev?

A quick check on the mail archives searching for DateUtils doesn't find
any hits.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, <di...@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> Has anyone brought it up on ant-dev?

I'm currently on vacation, so I may have missed it, but I think the
answer is no, it hasn't been brought up.

And I doubt Ant would depend on it, we depend on our version of the
zip, bzip2 and tar classes that have been added to commons as well.

The problem is that we want to be able to bootstrap Ant with as little
external dependencies as possible.  Thinking about it again, the real
problem may be that we've never talked about it at all 8-)

Stefan

Re: Ant using commons code/jars

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote on 18/12/2002 04:08:31 AM:
>

> > Is there any need to ask them? They'll either use it or they won't, but
> in
> > its current position its of no use to other people. Commons is mainly
> > tasked with being a repository of useful code from one project for other
> > projects to use.
> Note the 'use' word there. It's fine having a whole lot of useful code,
> but if none of our projects use it, what's the point?

Well, depends. If none of our projects use it but it still has lots of
interest and users, then maybe we're not very adaptive. If no projects use
it, then yeah there's an issue.

> > Once a piece of code has passed into commons, it is the responsibility
> of
> > the maintainers [who should be the original coders, but often aren't] to
> > focus on strengthening that code for all users and projects, and not
> just
> > the originating project.
> 100% agree. But starting off with one user sounds like a pre-req to me.

I'd love them to use it etc, but trying to harass them now will at best
get them cvs dependent on our tree. Then we get the pain that
Struts/Validator have, ie) Struts must have a Validator release before
Struts can release. I'd hate to have the next release of Ant dependent on
Commons Lang.

If however we just try to build up a good repository, then we have two
subsequent options. 1) Wait for people to arrive. 2) Go advertise.
But in both situations, the consumer is dependent on the release, not cvs.

[The fact that we don't release often enough is a separate issue to solve
I think].

I guess I somehow got sub-conciously brainwashed by Kevin Costner in Field
of Dreams [don't ask, it wasn't ME who chose that from the video store]:
"If you build it, they will come".

Hen

Re: Ant using commons code/jars

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Is there any need to ask them? They'll either use it or they won't, but in
its current position its of no use to other people. Commons is mainly
tasked with being a repository of useful code from one project for other
projects to use.

Once a piece of code has passed into commons, it is the responsibility of
the maintainers [who should be the original coders, but often aren't] to
focus on strengthening that code for all users and projects, and not just
the originating project.

I may be being a bit bombastic :)

Hen

Posted by Sean Schofield <ne...@schof.com>.